Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #1

5500 generator output to house

I hope I'm posting to the correct forum but, if not, look forward to the mods moving.

I had 50 amp service installed in the garage for the MH, which has an Onan 5500 installed. Has anyone figured out how to safely divert the output from the gen to the MH transfer to elsewhere?

Preferably to the shore power cord to back feed both circuits of the home distribution panel. This would only be done after taking the main breakers and initially all others off. Then only the selected ones within capacity for each leg would be chosen.

Would be great for emergency vs. getting another generator for this purpose. If relativity easy/inexpensive, great alternative back up for anyone with a generator on their RV!
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here they require an automatic switch so your generator can't backfeed into the grid.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #3

Here is the US? Any type of AB switch that could be inserted in line from the gen to the auto switch allowing alternate output to the 50 amp plug?
Old 06-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
You could put a two way disconnect switch between the RV Gen and the RV transfer switch and place a female 240 v line on one side of the disconnect and the RV transfer switch. Then a automatic transfer switch on the house power panel with a male 240 V pigtail to the house transfer switch. Manually throw the Generator disconnect and the auto switch would turn the house on to you output form the generator. You obviously will have to be selective with the house breaker panel so not to over do the demand on the generator. No electric engineer here but some common sense.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #5

You don't want to reverse the power thru the shore cord, that will make the plug blades hot and not real safe.

Wire a receptcal ( of your choice ) to the generator output. Now if you need it's power, plug a cord in to it and run that to the house.

The codes say you will need a transfer switch ( auto or manual ) at the house, so your not powering the line going to the street. Without it you may be sending power to the guy next door and the lineman fixing the wires.

Many on here will say they will switch this and switch that and get it right every time, but stuff happens. Don't switch the right stuff and when the power comes back on, your generator smokes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #6

Anyone have the power out connection diagram from this generator to the transfer switch as well as transfer switch entry and exit connections? Swi
Old 06-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need to install a transfer switch beside your main panel to disconnect the commercial power feed and replace it with the genset feed. It should be automatic and not an A-B switch which could put power out over the commercial network. That is very important as you could kill a power line worker attempting to restore service if you had a manual switch in the wrong position. Remember you will most likely want to use your genset when commercial power has failed and people are working on the line to restore it.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You don't want to reverse the power thru the shore cord, that will make the plug blades hot and not real safe.

Wire a receptcal ( of your choice ) to the generator output. Now if you need it's power, plug a cord in to it and run that to the house.

The codes say you will need a transfer switch ( auto or manual ) at the house, so your not powering the line going to the street. Without it you may be sending power to the guy next door and the lineman fixing the wires.

Many on here will say they will switch this and switch that and get it right every time, but stuff happens. Don't switch the right stuff and when the power comes back on, your generator smokes.
Have a manual transfer switch at the house. Have to find the generator output to determine how to connect prior to the auto transfer switch. Also, the blades would handle the same 50 amps as are provided by a pedestal so wouldn't anticipate the plug blades getting any hotter they normally would in use, correct?
Old 06-12-2017, 01:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Have a manual transfer switch at the house. Have to find the generator output to determine how to connect prior to the auto transfer switch. Also, the blades would handle the same 50 amps as are provided by a pedestal so wouldn't anticipate the plug blades getting any hotter they normally would in use, correct?
I mean hot as in touch and get a shock hot. Sorry for the confusion.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Please don't do this just by turning the main breakers off. Get a UL Listed transfer switch / branch circuit panel combination and a qualified electrician to install it. The transfer panel connects to your existing branch circuit panel and allows you to reroute the critical circuits you want to keep powered from the existing panel to the new transfer panel. In normal operation all circuits are powered normally. The transfer switch completely disconnects your home electrical system from the utility grid and feeds the generator input to the selected critical circuits only. Your RV generator is not large enough to safely power your entire electrical system. It is imperative that you employ a transfer switch to disconnect your system from the grid. Otherwise any power supplied to your house would back feed the utility system, and the transformer which lowers the grid voltage to your home would work in reverse and step your voltage up to the utility line side voltage. A common distribution voltage on the line side of residential transformers is 7200 Volts, sometimes higher. This can easily kill a utility worker making repairs to the system, even though the utility will have enough isolated that section from their system. To accomplish this by only turning off the main breakers gives a false sense of security, as the breaker could fail closed or the handle could inadvertently be bumped into the "on" position. Not only is this dangerous, it is against the law. (National Electric Code)

Ken Brewer, former full-timer and ready to do it again as soon as we purchase a Class A Newmar. Retired Electrician with 47 years in the trade.
The Brews Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brews Cruise View Post
Please don't do this just by turning the main breakers off. Get a UL Listed transfer switch / branch circuit panel combination and a qualified electrician to install it. The transfer panel connects to your existing branch circuit panel and allows you to reroute the critical circuits you want to keep powered from the existing panel to the new transfer panel. In normal operation all circuits are powered normally. The transfer switch completely disconnects your home electrical system from the utility grid and feeds the generator input to the selected critical circuits only. Your RV generator is not large enough to safely power your entire electrical system. It is imperative that you employ a transfer switch to disconnect your system from the grid. Otherwise any power supplied to your house would back feed the utility system, and the transformer which lowers the grid voltage to your home would work in reverse and step your voltage up to the utility line side voltage. A common distribution voltage on the line side of residential transformers is 7200 Volts, sometimes higher. This can easily kill a utility worker making repairs to the system, even though the utility will have enough isolated that section from their system. To accomplish this by only turning off the main breakers gives a false sense of security, as the breaker could fail closed or the handle could inadvertently be bumped into the "on" position. Not only is this dangerous, it is against the law. (National Electric Code)

Ken Brewer, former full-timer and ready to do it again as soon as we purchase a Class A Newmar. Retired Electrician with 47 years in the trade.

THIS^^^^^^^
Former Full Timer and Retired Power Plant Control Operator (I generated the magical stuff)

Hire a licensed electrician to do the 'correct/necessary' install AND modifications to your RV generator
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #12

I'm sorry but I don't see anywhere that I posted that I would be doing these changes. I did mention that it would be the same certified electrician that installed my 50 amp outlet. There is a manual safety on the panel that would not allow its activation without having the main breakers in the off position. Got to give the guy some credit every once in a while.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The simplest and least invasive method to install a new outlet is to disconnect the generator feed to the transfer switch and take it to a new electrical box in near the transfer switch. Then purchase a short length of the same cable to tap off the outlet common connections in the new box to reconnect to the generator feed in the transfer switch. This is much simpler than entering the generator and you can purchase the correct hardware for the box for connections to the outlet and transfer switch. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
I'm sorry but I don't see anywhere that I posted that I would be doing these changes. I did mention that it would be the same certified electrician that installed my 50 amp outlet. There is a manual safety on the panel that would not allow its activation without having the main breakers in the off position. Got to give the guy some credit every once in a while.
I'm sorry didn't see that part...and from your posts it appeared you were looking to do it yourself.

That certified electrician will know/understand what is required so call him.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator