Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #1

5er city water not working

Hello all, new to rv life and have one of those noob problems. The city water connection is not flowing water. Water does flow from the spigot and the hose with or without a regulator. Have had a space heater in the water lines area for the last 16+ hours and its been in the 50s the last three days so the should rule out ice in the lines. What could it be? The FW tank pump flows water so thats good. Keystone Laredo in case you need to know. TIA!!
rvnoobAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Had that happen to me once when I forgot to switch the valve back from "City" to "Fill"
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #3

Theres a valve? Ive never had to switch anything other than a on switch for the pump.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

How does your freshwater hose connect to the RV? Also, how do you fill your freshwater tank? It's been so long since we had a 5er that I can't remember about the water connections. On our MH, the hose connects to a valve with a lever that switches the incoming water between the freshwater tank and in main line to the inside. Maybe you could take a photo of the connections and post here so we can give you better advice. You can just take the pic, upload it into your computer, and use the "paperclip" symbol at the top to attach the photo file to your post.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

City water inlet assembly has a 'screen washer'........it could be clogged with crud

City water inlet assembly has an internal check valve....cheap plastic plunger/spring/o-ring assembly. It could be bad.......o-ring gets dislodged/plunger gets cockeyed/it jams.

Either or both will stop/restrict water flow into RV plumbing line....

Also if you have a water filter after city water inlet it could be clogged up

Pump works OK so problem is right at city water inlet
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Had that happen to me once when I forgot to switch the valve back from "City" to "Fill"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnoobAT View Post
Theres a valve? Ive never had to switch anything other than a on switch for the pump.
rvnoobAT
My RV has a 2 position water valve near the water hose inlet.....(one position is labeled "FILL"... and the other "CITY/PUMP").

While filling the tank that valve must be turned to the "FILL" position.

To use water from either the tank, (via the 12V water pump) ...OR to use water from a campground water faucet... that valve must be turned to the "CITY/PUMP" position.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #7

Good luck, welcome
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #8

I took the inlet screen off and took the valve apart, put it back together and same thing.

I yanked around on the hose from the inlet and everything started flowing again. Must be a faulty check valve somewhere inaccessable.

I have the tank fill the opposite side of the city connection. Havent seen anywhere that says switch to thisthat water.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #9

Quote:
I took the inlet screen off and took the valve apart, put it back together and same thing.

I yanked around on the hose from the inlet and everything started flowing again. Must be a faulty check valve somewhere inaccessable.

I have the tank fill the opposite side of the city connection. Havent seen anywhere that says switch to thisthat water.
Check valves
1 at city water inlet (to prevent backflow when using pump)
1 internal of water pump (to prevent backflow when using city water)

Might have check valve in water heater HOT out (to prevent backflow when WH is bypassed)

Yanked around on hose?????
Is that on the hose to city water OR on the PEX line AFTER city water?
After city water....then sounds like PEX line is pinched or city water check valve is jamming up

City water feeds COLD water system....pump discharge ties into SAME cold water system line.
So problem is RIGHT at city water inlet/assembly

Some mention 'switching valves'
That is in reference to a 'water panel' that has a valve you swap from 'city water/normal' to 'FILL'
City water for service and FILL when you want to add water to fresh water tank
You don't have that set up

Which Keystone do you have....YEAR & MODEL
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Check valves

Might have check valve in water heater HOT out (to prevent backflow when WH is bypassed)

Yanked around on hose?????
Is that on the hose to city water OR on the PEX line AFTER city water?
After city water....then sounds like PEX line is pinched or city water check valve is jamming up

City water feeds COLD water system....pump discharge ties into SAME cold water system line.
So problem is RIGHT at city water inlet/assembly

Some mention 'switching valves'
That is in reference to a 'water panel' that has a valve you swap from 'city water/normal' to 'FILL'
City water for service and FILL when you want to add water to fresh water tank
You don't have that set up

Which Keystone do you have....YEAR & MODEL
Correct, PEX line after the city water screw in/check valve, to distribute the water among the other lines. It goes to a spot i cant reach or get to, i.e. under the fridge and to the other side of the water heater assy.

Its a 05 Laredo
Old 01-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Check valves
Old-Biscuit
As built by SMC, (Safari Motorcoach Corporation), the 10 Gal Suberban water heater in my 1996 Safari has never had a "water heater by pass".... but there is an "water heater check valve", (aka: backflow preventer), in the COLD (incoming), waterline.... (not in the HOT water line).

Water Heater Check Valve
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #12

Bump

Quote:
Correct, PEX line after the city water screw in/check valve, to distribute the water among the other lines. It goes to a spot i cant reach or get to, i.e. under the fridge and to the other side of the water heater assy.

Its a 05 Laredo

Tags
water