Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
6 Volt House batteries from Costco?

Has anyone have or heard about the 6 volt golf battreies from Costco?
They are made by the Johnson controls battery group.Tthe ratings are very similar to Trojan T-105's but the price is very good compared to the Trojans.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #2

I got quite a kick on my visit last week to see the brightly colored batteries with prominent "Golf Cart Battery" in big letters as the only brand on them. It said to me that they have been getting a lot of customers reading RV forums and not using reliable data in battery purchase decisions.

The OEM for these batteries depends to some extent on locale. Since there are only a few manufacturers and it is a mature technology, the OEM isn't that big of a deal. What is likely more important is what you think of Costco in how they stand behind what they sell and the warranty they offer on these batteries. (most folks seem to think Costco does well on both these criteria).

What I got was a couple of group 27's to get a lot more for a lot less. (but then, I tend to prefer spec sheets and good measures over anecdote and marketing hype).
Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes Many use them, Johnson Controls also makes Intersate and several other brands

From what I understand they are not quite as good as the Trojan's, (Over all if you give Trojan a "10" rating the Johnson Controls might do 8 or so) but for what Trojan wants for one you can easily get TWO of them at Costco and change back.

So you are getting 8 performance for 4 price. Makes them the best Bang for your BUCK. I recommend them
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #4

re "From what I understand they are not quite as good as the Trojan's" - on a serious note: I'd really like to find some measure for this. There are so many parameters that it is difficult to know if there actually is some measure of "good" and whether or not that measure is pertinent to typical RV use.

For instance, why is it that it is easy to find 105's but not 145's? These are 2 Trojans at different points of the cost, capacity, ruggedness space so why not leave the choice to the consumer? Sometimes I see retailers (e.g. Cabellas) offer several models in the line (usually the Trojan 12v series for trolling) so why not so much on the 105's?

Without having some measure related to your needs, there is no real way to determine bang for the buck to compare between batteries. There are very few measures available that have any credibility and some need adaptation to use plans. These include capacity measures (there are several of these and that can create confusion), cost, and warranty. Intended use (deep cycle vs SLI) is poorly defined and is usually most objectively seen in warranties.

I have not yet seen any 'Consumer Reports' type study that discriminates by OEM rather than by brand or battery 'model' in a way as to make any judgment about superiority of distinct value. The differences I have seen are swamped by how the batteries are used and maintained and in the inherent accuracy of battery parameters themselves.

On the other hand, I see a lot of assertions, brand loyalty, and emotional attachment to certain concepts that is quite at odds to objective measure. This, I think, warrants caution in assessing one's own perceptions.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for they reply The difference between the Trojan 105 and the Costco are very small i.e Amp Hrs at 75% and 25% The difference in price is $54 per battery
Saying that I have never heard of the Johnson Control Battery group .Dave
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
....- on a serious note: I'd really like to find some measure for this. There are so many parameters that it is difficult to know if there actually is some measure of "good" .....
My "guess" is that weight would be a good place to start... More pounds, more Lead, thicker plates! I have seen GC batteries listed from 62 to 77 pounds. I have seen the T-105's listed anywhere from 66 to 75 pounds! Of course, getting them in and out of the non sliding tray battery box is rough, no matter what they weigh. Oh, my aching back!

Harold

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #7

re "is that weight would be a good place to start" - usable energy capacity for any lead acid battery is about 10 watt hours per pound. A T105 is about equivalent in size or weight to a group 31.

Try an L16 or 8D if you have a few friends to help! One of the biggest problems people have when changing battery types is getting a good fit. Many upgrade from group 24's to T105's - footprint is pretty close but the height of a T105 can create problems.

Weight is one of the reasons why making any significant difference in your battery bank is not easy. Upgrading from a pair of 24's to a pair of T105's is only about a 20% or so upgrade in capacity and that is about the same kind of difference you can get from temperature, use profile, or even cycle to cycle variance. You need to go at least 2:1 with an upgrade to get a worthwhile difference.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bryan, My understanding on Trojan's v/s Johnson Controls INTERSTATE is that I can expect 7-9 years from my Interstates, Most folks with Trojan's expect 9-11.

As I said, Trojan's are slightly better, but not that much better

I'm told the Trojan's have a slightly better discharge curve too but I do not have the means to verify that... And consider the statement highly suspect. Laws of Physics and Chemistry and all that.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #9

re "Most folks with Trojan's expect 9-11." - check the Az Wind Sun FAQ - they find that you can expect 4-7 years from wet cell lead acid batteries and Trojans provide perhaps a bit better longevity than some other brands but not much. The reason is that battery aging has more to do with proper use and maintenance than anything else. I have seen Trojan T105's that didn't last a full summer because of heat and failure to recharge promptly (mostly). The warranty is particularly apropriate here as an indicator of what the manufactuer thinks.

For the discharge curve, look at the various amp hour ratings. These are often provided for 5 and 20 hour rates in the spec sheets and the minutes reserve can be used as well. The key measure for this is the Peukert coefficient and it varies as much over the line (i.e T105 vs 145 or SCS200 vs 220) as it does between manufacturers. The differences are minor compared to other factors.

If you look, you can find some data and much of it disputes the anecdotal tales often found in these forums. I am thinking that the reason for that is that it is a rather select group reciting anecdotes. But that is why I strongly suggest looking at specifications and warranties rather than listen to stories. Then purchase from a vendor who sells a lot to folks like you and will stand behind what he sells.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Saying that I have never heard of the Johnson Control Battery group .

They are one of the largest battery manufacturers in the USA, but some of their factories operate under other names. Johnson even owns the Delphi Battery manufacturing plants.

The Interstate U2200 & U2600 golf cart batteries come from Johnson Controls.

The other major manufacturer of private label golf cart batteries is US Battery.

Trojan, however, remains best of breed, at least by anecdotal evidence.

Concorde/Lifeline makes an AGM golf cart battery that is well regarded but even more expensive.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
\Trojans provide perhaps a bit better longevity than some other brands but not much.
Which, is more or less exactly what I said.

Trojan's are slightly better, but Interstates, or the batteries from Costco or Sam's are way better priced and for the difference in price are a MUCH better value than Trojan's

Which is why I recommend Costco or Sam's batteries. (Take your pick)
Old 06-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #12

re "Which, is more or less exactly what I said." - oh, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about a difference significant enough to make brand choice as vital factor. Brand and OEM. as well as voltage, are of little significance compared to specs, warranty, and retailer.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the info everyone I went ahead and got the Costco batteries today.When I picked them up I ask the mangermif they hasd very many returns he said last year they had a bd batch but the "newer ones" haven't had a problem with them so time will tell Again thanks for the info

P.S I installed them on our 07 Meridian and the fit was perfect for th battery tray
Old 06-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #14

"This, I think, warrants caution in assessing one's own perceptions."

I need more caution is assessing my own perceptions