Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
A&E 9000 manual 17' awning RIVET size???

Just got off the phone with Dometic Service line. I need one rivet that goes in the end of the awning cylinder where the up/down lever is located).
There are three rivets, one popped out. The other end is fine but only has two rivets.
I asked what size rivet is it, Dometic does not know that, just a part #. I was going to order it but $15.00 shipping for a box of 10 rivets @ $1.49 a box is OMG!!!

Part # 3311579.040

So I would like to go to ACE Hardware 1 mile away, but I don't know what size would be correct, aluminium or steel. (I don't want to put something in that will cause another problem. I do have aluminium rivets size 3/16" diameter, grip range 3/16 - 1/4", I used to replace the main support adjustment lever.
Any Help Suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #2

Most likely just a pop rivet and there are not that many sizes.

Get your drill bit set and see which one fits the hole.

No drill bit set...

Locate a standard pencil and sharpen it.

Now insert it in the hole and twist while pushing like drilling.

Hold straight and do not break it.

Now remove and you have a flat spot same size as hole.

Next look in and see how thick you need.

Get paper clip and straighten one end and bend short 90 at the end do you can insert it into hole and hook other end.

Mark wire at edge then remove.

Now you know the material thickness.

Take both to ace and you should be able to get rivets that fit your hole.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Tony. That was very helpful. I located the rivets I bought to reattach the lower main brace support arm last week and those rivets fit snug. I did have to use a steel punch and lightly tap the end housing to get the hole to line up. Awning is now secured and I'm using two ratchet straps (yellow) for extra security .
My rule of thumb has been, leaving camp roll up and stow, bad weather same thing. But what caught me off guard was a few low level gusts (8 knots) maximum, but enough to loosen the one tensioner, when I went out to bring in the awning for the day as we were going away all day, a gust hit it and the one end stood straight up. I carefully pulled it back down and called DW (should of done that to begin with ) and when we went to trip the lever it was jammed, that’s when I saw the missing rivet. So when people tell me, "oh I put my awning up and take it down ALL BY MYSELF", I will just smile and suggest that even on a pretty day it's just not a good idea.
Hope You Have A Great Day Tony.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #4

The rivets in the torsion ends are a 3/16" rivet, regular style. Not too long either.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks jesilvas, I bought a box of 10 and was able to repair the end cap.
I want to say sometimes it helps when near disaster strikes, to have irv2 to turn to. Writing out your thoughts of what is wrong and knowing folks out there are saying, oh that’s an easy fix. But it let me calm down and get organized. Finishing my coffee and going out to secure awning, rain storms tonight. Hope You Have A Great Day.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #6

You're going to leave it out in a storm? Brave.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bilgerat, what was the grip range on the pop rivet (3/16 x ??) that you used or are going to use? I may need to change my torsion springs in the future so this information would certainly be of help. Thanks.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:10 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Morning Ken. Here is the info you wanted; grip range 3/16" - 1/4". The rivets I bought were at my local ACE Hardware. I would advise You to try and get some "Face To Face" time with someone who has previously worked on an awning cylinder, You could be opening the proverbial "Can Of Worms" . I don't know if you've looked but there are a few good You Tube videos on awnings. When my S&B sells there is a few upgrades I will under take; new slide toppers, repair my manual sat dish, up grade my TV antenna system, serpentine belt replacement, shocks, sway bar bushings replacement, steering stab and the list goes on.

Oh jesilvas, when I said secure the awning, I meant "in a driving position", so that I don't buy a replacement awning. The ratchet straps I've added are only for fair weather days to prevent a repeat of the other day; great weather with minor gusts of wind loosening the rafter braces. And no I don't go crazy ratcheting on the straps, just snug enough to make things safe.
If anyone is wondering "What the hell is this Knuckle Head doing up at OH DARK THIRTY"? My Buddies Prince & Lady wanted to water the grass "in the rain".
Hope Y’all Have A Great Day.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah, it certainly is morning and an early one for sure for you. I have done quite a bit of studying lately about the torsion springs, etc. on awnings. They are something that I definitely want to know what I'm doing before I tackle it. I'm going to try to tighten the springs first, found some good articles and You Tube videos as you mentioned on that. Going to Colorado next week so I may tackle that job while camped out there. Sounds like your projects about the same I've been or going to do on our MH. Thanks for letting me know about the size of the rivets, I do have some 1/4" as I just purchased some to help me with the replacement of a rear upper clearance light.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Please let me know how it goes if you tackle the awning. My diameter on the rivet I used was 3/16". When you're in Colorado, don't be shy to see if someone can help you. We stayed a week in central Iowa waiting for Sturgis to ramp down. While we were there I used the time to re-organize the basement storage for my liking. During the first two days most of the campers there came by to say Hi and offered to help if I needed a hand or had a question. To my shock my neighbour on the third day offered his F-150 to make a store run ! We were on our maiden voyage and haven't bought a Toad yet.
I plan on doing the oil & filter change and lube the chassis this weekend, (reminds me, I read a post on the Ford Chassis site that to lube the King Pins the front end needs to be jacked, one person posted they bought a 90 degree 1/8 nipple adapter at Autozone or Advanced Auto and eliminates the jacking. Right now I have cabin fever due to the rain, cleaning vents, filters and playing on here.
Enjoy Colorado,hope the weather Gods treat you right.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our son and brother-in-law will be there so if I decide to tackle this job I should have some help. And then again I also have the wife. I'm hoping the weather holds off as it can get a little nasty at times around Denver. I'll let you know about the torsion spring project.

Tags
awning, manual