Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

A&E WeatherPro awning wind sensor

Hi all,
Have subject auto awning on a 2009 Class A and it's set to lowest(12mph) wind speed. But, even in some fairly strong wind it has never come in. All lights are on steady on control unit in the coach so am sure it should be working. Someone told me you can clean dirt, spider webs, etc. out of the sensor on the end of the awning but looking at mine can't see any way to clean it or where it would accumulate any debris. Have read it won't retract with just a gust of wind but only in a steady wind of several seconds so maybe that's the problem. Is there a way to test it with a fan or maybe a leaf blower? Dunno, just seems it never works no matter how strong the wind blows and I'm suspicious about it.
Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I don't know the answer to your question but I can tell you that most people don't trust them. Personally , if I leave the MH , it comes up.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #3

I have successfully tested our Weather Pro wind sensor with a fan - ours is the roof mounted sensor. That may be a waste of time, however. The sensor will not close the awning for a strong, quick, gust of wind. I discovered while washing the roof that the sensor would activate if you spray water from a hose directly on the roof unit. Sometimes, however, it will close the awning when the wind does not seem strong enough. I have seen a gust actually raise the awning almost over the roof of the motorhome without the sensor activating. We normally disarm the automatic sensor and manually close the awning when we are gone or there is more wind than we are comfortable with.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Mine has never worked as expected. Control panel and wind sensor replaced twice under warnenty. Warenty is now expired so it is now unpluged. I just keep the remote handy and NEVER leave it open when gone.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I don't know the answer to your question but I can tell you that most people don't trust them. Personally , if I leave the MH , it comes up.
Cliff
to you Clif.
Mine is out when I am out a while. When I leave or hit the hay: UP
A variation of "trust but verify":
Up or terrified.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

I know that home awnings and wind sensors are different but,years ago I use to install awnings on homes and even then we had trouble with wind sensors even though they had controls that you could set for wind speed.That being said I will never leave the MH with awning out because it is easier to put in than to replace if something should happen.IMHO Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles
Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #7

Thanks to all who responded. As some of you said, it needs a constant wind for 15-20sec. before it'll retract. I put my leaf blower on it and after about 20sec. the awning went in so the sensor is indeed working.
But, as most said, since even a strong gust isn't enough to cause the sensor to retract the awning, the best policy is to bring it in when you're away so I think that's what I'll do even though I know the sensor is good.

Jim
seadogjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning