Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #1

A/C clutch blows fuse

Intermittently blows 7.5 amp fuse for a/c clutch on my 2015 Entegra Anthem. Spartan replaced clutch and compressor. Worked fine when I left dealer, but still blows fuses intermittently . Anyone have any suggestions or a wiring diagram for this unit?
eu430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

If the electric clutch was replaced, I'd check the amperage draw of the new one. It's either engaged or off, it shouldn't pull more amps than it's supposed to. The only thing I can think could cause the problem would be an electric clutch that is bigger than the old one, OR a short circuit. If it's a short, then even a larger fuse would blow. Finding the skinned wire would be a tough search. If the clutch is the proper one, then try a 10 amp fuse. If it blows, you'll know it's a short circuit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #3

A/C clutch blows fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

If the electric clutch was replaced, I'd check the amperage draw of the new one. It's either engaged or off, it shouldn't pull more amps than it's supposed to. The only thing I can think could cause the problem would be an electric clutch that is bigger than the old one, OR a short circuit. If it's a short, then even a larger fuse would blow. Finding the skinned wire would be a tough search. If the clutch is the proper one, then try a 10 amp fuse. If it blows, you'll know it's a short circuit.

I tried a 10 amp fuse, but it too blew. I’m thinking I have a wire that is intermittently shorting out causing the blown fuses. [emoji849]

This is going to be fun to find. Works when I’m stopped and insert new fuse and blows while driving down the road.

I was hoping someone had a similar issue and could point me to an area to start looking.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd start looking for the bad wire where it can flex, since you say it's fine when stopped, but blows when in motion. Perhaps as the wire bundle goes from the body to the engine. If you can't find the short, you could string a new wire.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help on that problem. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help on that problem. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
? What
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
? What

I know! What’s up with this post?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:35 PM   #8

A friend of mine had the same problem and was told by a Spartan service facility that it was known problem on Entegras. Dont know where they found the problem but it was fixed under warranty.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:02 AM   #9

On our country coach we had the same problem. Ours has a 20 amp fuse though. Anyway, pull the fuse for your ac clutch and I am assuming it is the only thing hooked up? If so take fuse out and disconnect the compressor. Now in theory the wire should be whole, with no other connections. Now hook a continuity tester one to ground and one to the wire and put tester in audible mode. It makes a steady noise when it has continuity and quite when circuit is open. Now go along the harness and wiggle the wires and see if you can get an idea of where the short may be. Also order a power probe and it will have a wire tracer which will find the short in the wiring harness. Good luck.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #10
YC1

Welcome to the forum.

I chased this intermittent on my 08 HR for some time. The "20 amp" fuse that feeds mine kept blowing.

I am an electronic tech and have plenty of experience with things like this but it was not an easy task. Back in those days getting schematics was nearly impossible.

Here is what I found. The fan that is over my condenser that lives on a swing out door had a wire pinched internally. At first I was going to replace the fan but took mine apart and fixed it.

To decide weather it is the ac clutch or the fan was the most difficult since it was intermittent. I finally caught a break and the short lasted long enough for me to sort out. There was a pigtail near the fan that made it easy to unplug and test.

You could find a 12 volt source and run a fused lead to the fan thus bypassing the normal path. Letting the fan run continuously would not be an issue. Then if that fuse blows you will know it is the fan. If the original fuse blows then you have a wire rubbing or a bad clutch.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse