Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #1

A/C Ductwork collapse and rehab

I posted this in another forum (as a response) but thought it might be more appropriate here. RV is an HR 1997 Endeavor.

Unit #2 (bedroom) was short cycling ... pulled the lower cover, pulled the control unit down, and found the foil tape was all loose (adhesive failed). So, pulled the baffle assembly to see the ductwork ... surprise! ... all the foil tape was loose and the ducts had collapsed. Short version is I cut pieces of PVC pipe to make a small "column" inside each duct, rebuild the baffle with new seals, reinstalled and retaped everything and the A/C works correctly. No more short cycles. And ... while I had the control box down I found the remote sensor all taped up and jammed into the upper plenum. Looks like original install ... never installed correctly. Cut it loose, pulled the sensor out about 5 feet and tucked the wire between the ceiling and wall, ran it over toward the corner and let it dangle ... I'll pretty it up in a few days. At least it's now sensing actual room temp.

So, now that the rear A/C is working I compared front (a 6 month old unit) to the back ... back (old unit) is now colder than front by 4 degrees ... Damn !! Pulled everything down in front and found same collapsed ductwork ... the installer never pulled the baffle when he installed the new unit! Well, that's fixed and the 2 units are now within a degree or 2 and today I could bring the coach down below 67 degrees in an outside temp of 85.

If you have the inclination, you might want to check your ductwork. It's a design problem ... there is no support for the ends where they come into the airbox. Shape of the duct relies totally on the foil tape connection and the tape is gripping styrofoam .... no way the adhesive can hold for 15 years.

Here's the before and the after ... most of the pics are self explanatory but feel free to ask questions. Ductwork output temps are below 50 degrees.

Improved performance is amazing !!

Air Conditioner Repair Photos by bdkolber | Photobucket
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #2

This is the rehab of the seals/insulation on the rooftop portion.

Here's the rehab of the #2 upper unit ... new seals and Reflectix insulation ... extra vent holes in shroud .... mounting holes on shroud are now fiberglass reinforced.

Upper Unit Rehab Photos by bdkolber | Photobucket
Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Thanks Bruce. That was a neat project you did there. As I've told you before , I know where you live .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Thanks Bruce. That was a neat project you did there. As I've told you before , I know where you live .
Thanks Cliff !! ... well worth the effort.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Thanks bro my tape was leaking we re taped it but im gonna re check now for the ducts yes i meant run off also it feels cold there so ill check again thanks great that u have the same coach my tape was loose but i never took the damper out hmm seems let me know wow u do your sensor also i have the same thing ! thanks bro ill keep you posted i just pulled the filter guard how do u get to those vents by removing those 6 screws on the cover plate ?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Bruce can u call me if you can at 904 534 6589 i have the cover off now how do i get to the ducts ? thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
This is the rehab of the seals/insulation on the rooftop portion.

Here's the rehab of the #2 upper unit ... new seals and Reflectix insulation ... extra vent holes in shroud .... mounting holes on shroud are now fiberglass reinforced.

Upper Unit Rehab Photos by bdkolber | Photobucket
UPDATE .... I decided to install a Dometic Quick Cool Kit on the front A/C

Dometic 3105935.047 Quick Cool Ducted Return Air Package Polar White Trailer Camper RV

so ... while I was at it I fabricated Outlet Duct Spreaders from angle aluminum. They are riveted together and then riveted to a crossmember. Outlet Duct is now restored to the original size (marginal but as big as possible) for a series 600 Penguin A/C. Ductwork is taped, then spreader installed, then taped again ... no leaks.

The Quick Cool Kit is the same as late model RVs and works great. It is slightly noisier, when the vents are closed, than the old solid cover. Worth every penny to get the coach rapidly cooled. The kit includes a lot of hardware ... metal template assembly (slotted for vent/register), new cover assembly, air filter, baffle assembly, and seals. You still need tape for install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9103368.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	45946   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9103370.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	45947  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9103374.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	298.6 KB
ID:	45948   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9103378.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	45949  

Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #8

Bruce, Isn't it is amazing how well this type cold air dump works as compared to pushing all air through the restrictive ceiling vents?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Bruce, Isn't it is amazing how well this type cold air dump works as compared to pushing all air through the restrictive ceiling vents?

OH BOY !!! ... Huge difference !!!

First try was one I constructed using my old cover and a Home Depot Adjustable Register. Worked fine but quite noisy. The Dometic kit is much quieter. As a side benefit it came with the newer inlet filter which has little "nubs" molded to lock the foam filter to the cover. No more sucking the foam into the intake plenum.