Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 06:21 AM   #1

Absorption Refrigerator or Residential

If someone doesn't like the flame why not keep your Norcold on AC and run it through the inverter, or an inverter of its own, and of course add a few batteries?

Rather than have a residential and have to remodel and have to tie the doors closed!

When at a camp ground on AC my Norcold seems to be colder!

Then you could have gas for back up....
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a little confused about your post. Are you saying that's what you do and asking why others don't do that, or are you asking if you can do it that way?

Sorry, I'm a little dense sometimes!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
If someone doesn't like the flame why not keep your Norcold on AC and run it through the inverter, or an inverter of its own, and of course add a few batteries?
Hi George,

In my case, my Dometic pulls 300 watts continuous when on AC. That is a pretty serious load for any battery bank (24 amps @ 12.5V). Assuming most RV refrigerators consume similar amounts of power, running them via an inverter for long periods of time is a challenge for the battery and solar (or whatever) systems.

I am curious about the power consumption of the new, small, efficient residential refrigerators as compared to my existing Dometic only from a power consumption perspective. Running on propane works ok, but my fridge (old) has never been "great" (in terms of cold). The thought is that a residential refrigerator is not terribly expensive and they seem to be pretty reliable so possibly a reasonable alternative depending on actual energy consumption. I have a bit of excess solar power available (but not THAT much) and would like to run the numbers on a residential refrigerator. However; I haven't found hard numbers on them - though I admit I haven't searched real hard yet - only at the curious stage.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Hi George,

In my case, my Dometic pulls 300 watts continuous when on AC. That is a pretty serious load for any battery bank (24 amps @ 12.5V). Assuming most RV refrigerators consume similar amounts of power, running them via an inverter for long periods of time is a challenge for the battery and solar (or whatever) systems.

I am curious about the power consumption of the new, small, efficient residential refrigerators as compared to my existing Dometic only from a power consumption perspective. Running on propane works ok, but my fridge (old) has never been "great" (in terms of cold). The thought is that a residential refrigerator is not terribly expensive and they seem to be pretty reliable so possibly a reasonable alternative depending on actual energy consumption. I have a bit of excess solar power available (but not THAT much) and would like to run the numbers on a residential refrigerator. However; I haven't found hard numbers on them - though I admit I haven't searched real hard yet - only at the curious stage.

I run my fridge on inverter power ONLY while driving. If we stop for more than a few minutes I switch the fridge to LPG.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Rather than have a residential and have to remodel and have to tie the doors closed!

Well, to answer your questions
1: Refrigerators have effiecency ratings. The Norcold (And it's competitors) are the worst, they take the most electricity per unit cooling. UNLESS (See exceptioN) Residential units come in 2nd on the list of 3. Most effiecent is the exception mentioned above. Both Norcold and Dometic make high effiency COMPRESSOR 'fridges that suck LESS than 50 watts with the door closed... So you understand what that means... The light fixture over my head, two 1156 lamps, that's MORE than 50 watts. A small "Dorm/office fridge is 100 watts.

Second: Absorption cooling units are kind of bulky, a compressor fridge has more "interior space" for the same footprint. so you can store more food.

Finally you assume you have to tie the door shut.. NOT TRUE.

Camping world sells a very nice latch that will hold the door shut quite well plus there are other ways to lock it that do not involve tying it closed. Alas they don't make 'em with a proper latch any more.. but you can add one easily.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #6

A norcold or dometic using the heating elements on Ac will draw about 5 to 6 amps Ac or 60 t0 70 amps Dc. That will kill your batterys in no time at all. A high efficiency house hold fridge will draw about 7 amps Dc when running for about 20 minutes out of an hour depending on use.
newmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmar10 View Post
A norcold or dometic using the heating elements on Ac will draw about 5 to 6 amps Ac or 60 t0 70 amps Dc. That will kill your batterys in no time at all. A high efficiency house hold fridge will draw about 7 amps Dc when running for about 20 minutes out of an hour depending on use.

You are correct IF you are parked with nothing recharging the batteries. We have a solar panel plus running the engine so have never had a problem as long as we are driving.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #8

To add a little to w8yxm. A Maytag bottom freezer shows typical energy usage of 404 kW per year. Breaking that down that's about 1106 wats per day (24 hr) or 117 amps@12volt/day. Add some inefficiency of the inverter and let's call it 130 amp/day.
Four T-105 batteries will give you 235 amp-hour usable. So, you should be able to run the fridge, watch some TV, use some LED lighting and only run the genny once a day.
Somebody check my math.... It's been a long way from school to here.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm a little confused about your post. Are you saying that's what you do and asking why others don't do that, or are you asking if you can do it that way?

Sorry, I'm a little dense sometimes!

I was just throwing the idea out there to clear my head!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
My 18cuft Samsung fully loaded weighs less than my old Dometic 12cuft empty. My ice cream is harder and the beer colder.

And I don't tie the doors shut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140510_130452.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	65633  
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
frig door lock

dons2346, what is your door lock made of? Looks interesting. Thanks.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin View Post
dons2346, what is your door lock made of? Looks interesting. Thanks.
It is made from either a 1/2" or 3/4" piece of plywood covered with a felt material
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Retired Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
My 18cuft Samsung fully loaded weighs less than my old Dometic 12cuft empty. My ice cream is harder and the beer colder.

And I don't tie the doors shut.
You had me at "... and the beer colder".
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Probably

Quote:

It would be extremely inefficient to do that. It would drain your batteries very quickly.

As an example: I've seen people leave their 3-way refers on battery power when they arrive somewhere and had their batteries go flat in the middle of the night.

Adding an inverter would simply accelerate that process because no inverter is 100% efficient.

Heat is heat no matter where it comes from. But if someone fears the flame, no matter how irrational that may be, there are several alternatives.

My first RV had an ice box!

FWIW my Norcold works very well. Consistently at 34F. Ice cream at -18F. No residential I've ever had could get near those temps. How did I get it to do that? With a piece of styrofoam from a discarded coffee cup and 4 12v muffin fans I bought for next to nothing. And a little patience.

I refer to this as the 'Muddypaws Mod'. I've done it to several Norcolds with similar results. An unknown number of folks on this board have done it as well. The trick is to retard the response curve of the thermistor just enough to effect the set point by about -7 degrees.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator