Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

AC Condensation inside?

Hello all looks like with all the HOT weather AC questions are on the rise.

Well here's mine:
I have a 1993 HR 31' class A with a single mid mounted AC unit. My problem just started, looks like "maybe" AC condensation has leaked between my ceiling and the vinyl that covers the ceiling forward of the unit.

I pulled the AC cover from the inside and removed the plate to reveal the area. I have a fan blowing in there now to try and dry this area. I also pulled the cover on top and didn't see any type of debris that may have been covering any drain holes. I did find a HUGE abandoned (thank God) wasp nest, but it was on the cover and was a non issue.

I re-leveled the coach to make the water run a different direction and it seemed to work.

Is there some sort of condensation plate that collects the water that may be clogged?

The unit works fine and this is the first problem i have had with it.

Next i have to figure out how to fix the sagging vinyl roof

Thanks in advance. Jerry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #2
paz

Our AC has a plastic trough under the evaporator coils that collects condensation an directs it out onto the metal pan under the AC. The water drains through holes in the bottom of the pan and runs onto the roof.

Water leaking inside when there is no blockage of any of the drain holes is probably due to a bad gasket under the AC unit. You might be able to correct the leak by tightening the bolts that hold the AC unit to the roof. If not, you will have to remove the AC unit to replace the gasket.

Examples of AC gaskets are shown HERE.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey tightening the bolts that hold your A/C down and changing your gasket will work also make sure that the holes in drain pan are open.

You might want to clean your evaporator coils with green coil cleaner to get greater airflow across coils and change air filters monthly in summer.
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #4

thanks for the responses, while i have it apart I'm going to pull it and replace the gasket. It is almost 20 years old.

Now for the sagging vinyl

While I'm at it, is there a big difference in todays AC units and would going to a new style 15000 BTU over the older 13500 BTU make a big difference?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff2c View Post
thanks for the responses, while i have it apart I'm going to pull it and replace the gasket. It is almost 20 years old.

Now for the sagging vinyl

While I'm at it, is there a big difference in todays AC units and would going to a new style 15000 BTU over the older 13500 BTU make a big difference?
Since you have a single AC unit, 15,000 BTUs may help. However, because it is only an 11% increase in cooling power, I don't know if it's worth the $700 to $900 expense, and that's if you do it yourself. Doing it yourself can be difficult unless you have access to some sort of lift to get the heavy AC unit (approx. 100 lb) onto the roof. On the other hand, if the unit goes bad, I wouldn't hesitate replacing it with a larger one.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had two 13,500 units. The front unit went bad so I replaced it with a 15,00 unit. The coach is a lot cooler and the rear 13,500 unit doesn't run as much.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
If you re-leveled the coach and the problem stopped or eased, this sounds like the problem I had. Re-tightening the 4 mounting bolts alittle did not solve my problem. Went up on the roof, took off cover, and found the problem. Water was pooling up where the opening to the roof is (Toward front of coach), and dripping down. Found the putty that separates the A/C pan into two areas (Water OK, and Water not OK) was shot. Caulked and re-puttied the separation area=no more problems no matter how level coach is now. Just an idea.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote