Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
AC Electric Issues have returned.

Last August 2018, we traded our 2004 Newmar DS Diesel Pusher for a 2010 Newmar Dutch Aire DP. In the following approximate time frame, 8/10/18-10/15/18, we travelled to no less than 8+- cgs, private & state but mainly private and encountered approx. "26" instances where ac power would shutdown for anywhere from 30 seconds-2 minutes. 99% of the time, the Progressive Dynamic hardwired system would show error message of E4, which is Line 1-Low Voltage. About the third week of Sept, I replaced the Progressive Dynamic EMS & the Transfer with new and noticed the 50A plug showed burn marks on one of the prongs and was loose where it went into the rubber plug itself. Headed towards Tx on about 10/15/19 and stopped at the dealer where purchased for a fridge exchange to a Samsung and had them replace the plug. The shutdowns seemed to stop after the plug was replaced with only error messages showing up after as described. Arrived in southern Tx for the winter and only had (2) issues from 10/20/18-4/26/19. The first was error code E2-Open ground and the second was the E4- low voltage-L2. Left and headed back north on approx. 4/27/19 and stopped at 4-5 CG's with no issues until 6/22/19 at which time we had (1) E4 error message. On 6/25/17, we had an incident of no power when we plugged in and ran generator for 2 hrs before trying the pedestal again. This time we had power. Took to an rv shop and had it checked and of course every thing ran fine. The tech talked with Progressives techs and every thing check ok when he ran there tests. On 6/30/19, no power when plugged in at a KOA in Newton, Ia, Tried another newer pedestal (2) hrs later and the power came on in the coach. In Shipshewana, Ind from 7/1/19-7/8/19 and had one incident where the 50A pedestal breaker tripped when I plugged a small vac into the 20A pluin of the pedestal. Reset and everything ran ok. We are at a cg n Holland, Michigan at this time and have had (1) E4 message only.

Any rv electronic savvy people have any idea(s) what might be causing this fiasco?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #2

Do you have a shore cord power reel ?

The revolving contacts can cause problems.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Do you have a shore cord power reel ?

The revolving contacts can cause problems.
Yes I do. Believe what your talking about is under a cover on the left side of the reel looking in. Haven't ever had it off so what should I be looking for? So far the reel had worked fine.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Update. We left the CG in Holland, Michigan this at 11a this morning. Pryor to turning off the pedestal 50a breaker, I reached in and started to pull out about (3) ft more of power cord from the reel. Heard the transfer switch click and lost ac power to the coach. Quit pulling on the cord and the ac kicked on at 20 seconds as it should. Me thinks that something(wire connections/brushes) in the cord reel itself might be the culprit. We are now at a cg close to Mackinac Island for 4 days or so. Plugged in with no problems. I will check the cord reel for loose connections or try and find a mobile rv tech if one is available here. I know my limitations when it comes to electricity. I remember reading a discussion on another forum(?) about cord reels causing electical issues. Now to find which forum.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #5

https://www.google.com/search?client...71.Dj51wsoyMPk

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Called Newmar and they show the orig reel that was installed in 2010 was a Glendining brand so the 1st owner had it replaced for unknown reasons with a Shoreline brand. Was able to find a mobile tech yesterday who responded to the cg we are at and he did remove the reel and install it directly into the Progressive EMS system. He has done this a number of times in the past as the contacts can become pitted and cause various electrical issues. Will run the cord this way until we get back to the KC area then decide if I will have a new cord reel setup installed. He also checked our Oasis system as it had a Heater Module Fault Light come on and the combustion fan light was blinking. He checked the system out then did a reset. Every fired up and is still working as I write this post. If it occurs again, then I might consider replacing the combustion fan. Will see if removing the cord reel has rectified the electrical issues.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:54 PM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
After arriving back to the KC area, I disassembled the cord reel and found what the problem was. Two of the 3 metal contacts were badly pitted/corroded as was the metal cylinder they were in contact with. Will most likely not replace the electric cord reel with a new one but continue to store it in the electric bay as there has been no problems since wiring directly to the Progressive EMS switch. Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50A Cord Reel Contacts-1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	255253
Old 08-03-2019, 06:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you fixed it, JC, and thanks for letting us know the solution. Helps others next time.

Curiously, had a discussion not long ago about that exact issue: "Is it ok to move the reel when plugged it and drawing power (possibly lots - like AC units, etc) and cause the brushes to 'scrub' the contacts, or not be powered-up and have no current thru them and minimizing pitting." We never did reach a conclusion.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Glad you fixed it, JC, and thanks for letting us know the solution. Helps others next time.

Curiously, had a discussion not long ago about that exact issue: "Is it ok to move the reel when plugged it and drawing power (possibly lots - like AC units, etc) and cause the brushes to 'scrub' the contacts, or not be powered-up and have no current thru them and minimizing pitting." We never did reach a conclusion.
I remember reading that discussion but shortly after I did just that. Pulled the cord slightly to straighten it up when already connected to pedestal power on (3) different occasions and on the 2nd and 3rd times it caused the coach power to temporarily shutoff about 20 seconds and then come back on. When I saw the condition of the contacts/cylinder upon disassembly at a later date, I was really surprised that I was getting any electrical at all to the coach. I can't help but think that the cord reel might have caused my Oasis system to also through a fault code once during this time. After resetting it, there have been no further issues.

Tags
electric