Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #1

AC issue

I have a 1998 Fleetwood Southwind. In the auto mode on the thermostat both front and rear ac come on and work fine. When they reach the set temp they shut off like they are supposed to. When they come back on the fan comes on but the compressors don't. If we bump the temp down about 3 degrees the compressor kicks on. The front and rear ac both act this way. RV has Intellic thermostat and controller. Which of these 2 components is the likely problem? Thanks for the help
Heiny60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiny60 View Post
I have a 1998 Fleetwood Southwind. In the auto mode on the thermostat both front and rear ac come on and work fine. When they reach the set temp they shut off like they are supposed to. When they come back on the fan comes on but the compressors don't. If we bump the temp down about 3 degrees the compressor kicks on. The front and rear ac both act this way. RV has Intellic thermostat and controller. Which of these 2 components is the likely problem? Thanks for the help
if memory is correct.. I think it takes a minute or so the one compressor kicks in then abit latter the second does...

when this happens does one ever kick in?
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my 1996 Pace Arrow Vision, in Auto mode, the fan(s) always ran, the compressor came in and out as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140719_154244186.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	98318  
Old 06-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There is a bit of lag between when the fan starts and when the compressor kicks in. Are you giving it a couple of minutes?
Old 06-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #5

Yes. I read that in my manual. Still no compressor after 10 minute wait. At first I thought it might be the capacitors but dropping the temp on the thermostat makes the compressors come on.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiny60 View Post

From the manual; "HIGH FAN - The air conditioner fan is energized on high speed. Load shedding is active.
LOW COOL - The air conditioner fan is energized on low speed. The air conditioner compressor is
turned on when the ambient temperature goes 2 degrees above the set point temperature and
shuts off when the ambient temperature reaches the set point temperature.
Load shedding is active.
HIGH COOL - The air conditioner fan is energized on high speed. The air conditioner compressor is turned
on when the ambient temperature is 2 degrees above the set point temperature and shuts off
when the ambient temperature reaches the set point temperature. Load shedding is active.
AUTO COOL - Both the air conditioner compressor and high fan are on when the ambient temperature goes
5 degrees above the set point temperature. When the ambient temperature drops to within 3
degrees of the set point, the fan switches to low speed. When the temperature drops to set
point the compressor turns off. When the ambient temperature drops 2 degrees below the set
point, the fan turns off. As the ambient temperature rises, the reverse procedure happens.
Load shedding is active."

What does not make any sense to me about this in AUTO COOL is if the compressor turns off how will the temp continue to go lower to turn off the fan? My experience is the fan never turns off.

I tried to rewire the AC fan to run only when the compressor is commanded ON but the lack of fan current faked out the thermostat that power was not being used and it waited 3 minutes to see the fan running before the compressor would activate. With no fan current there was red shed lights blinking.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #7

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I was out of town for work. Maybe we aren't hitting the 5 degree mark after the fans turn back on to reenergize the compressor. I will take a thermometer out to see what happens. Thanks