Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #15
Community Administrator

The OP has a 30 amp MH. My 01 Winnebago was a 30 amp MH and had an EMS as well.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #16

I think it's mainly related to 30 amp coaches. There's a computer (ECC) that cuts power if it surpasses 30 amps total and shuts off a compressor. Then you get a red light indicating one or two compressors have shut down and it blinks for a 2 minute cycle before turning back on. Time to cool down the compressor I suspect. With no other appliances running, you can run both AC's without the computer shutting down one or the other. Again completely different from a 50 amp service. We love our coach but being newbies back in 2012 when we bought we were unschooled in 50 amp vs 30 amp. It's all doable if run properly. The front AC is the problem and most likely has something to do with "Old Bounder's" explanation.
Discovery2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #17
Community Administrator

And 50 amp coaches while they're operating on 30 amps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery2k View Post
I think it's mainly related to 30 amp coaches.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromTX View Post
I owned/operated AC companies for 20+ years and still tinker around with them and yet, in all that time, I've never heard of the word "shed" used in connection with an RV, what are you guys referring too? Is it tripping the breaker?
While the term "shedding" is used to describe the actions of both the ECC - (Electronic Climate Control, the subject of this thread) and the EMS - (Energy Management System), they are entirely separate and different systems.

The ECC monitors the total current draw of the coach, and will shed air conditioner fans and or compressors in a manufacturer selected order to keep the draw below 30 amps. An equally important function of the ECC is to prevent the two compressors from attempting to start at the same time and to implement a delay, to prevent short cycling the compressors, when bringing them back on line. The ECC does NOT have the ability to shed (or turn off) any other loads except the air handlers.

The EMS monitors the total current draw of the coach and interrupts (sheds) power to each of the individual circuit legs fed from the main distribution panel, in a pre-selected order, if/when required to keep the draw below a defined limit. This order is determined by the "user" at setup time.

Two distinctly different systems.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:57 AM   #19

Discovery2k, Bounder may be on to something with the transfer switch comments. My 2002 30 amp Expedition had an annoying buzz every morning when the electric coffee pot brewed a cup. The buzz came from the electric bay and surely could wake up all the neighbors. So, was the transfer switch affecting the AC brain's ability to shed properly? I don't know.

I don't recall if my AC worked properly on the generator, i didn't dry camp much in hot weather.

I spent the money to upgrade the coach to from 30 to 50 amp. I spent a lot of summers in hot areas and i wanted to run both ACs without that annoying shedding issue. I'm sorry at the moment i don't recall thename of the vendor for the kit. It was reasonably priced but it was a little outdated. By that i mean it used the very old fashion way of switching by plugging and unplugging your power source and "not" using transfer switches. I didn't mind at the time.
I'm sure a search for 30 to 50 amp upgrade would find several posts on it. I gave all my paperwork to the new Expedition owner.
stillthinkin is offline   Reply With Quote