Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #1

Question Accordian shade question

The used Class-C we bought needs the accordion shades re-strung. We can do that but the color is a darker shade of medium blue with fading and grayish grunge that will not wash out. Any suggestions as to how to make them look better? Fabric paint? But that will just make them darker and even more opaque. Bleach? How are you breathing new life into your old accordion shades?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #2
Community Administrator

We replaced all of out interior day/night shades with Auto Motion ( MCD type .) however we replaced the shade over the entry door with a cellular shade form Lowes which was fairly inexpensive and has workrd great for 3 years. It is a night shade only but worth a look. We were going to do all the shades with these but wanted the day time option to go along with the night shades.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0737.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	730.2 KB
ID:	26795  

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is probably easier to just replace the shades.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
We replaced all of out interior day/night shades with Auto Motion ( MCD type .) however we replaced the shade over the entry door with a cellular shade form Lowes which was fairly inexpensive and has workrd great for 3 years. It is a night shade only but worth a look. We were going to do all the shades with these but wanted the day time option to go along with the night shades.
I'm asking about rejuvenating the shades our Class-C came with as we saw nothing inexpensive at Lowe's. It would be over $135 per window for the large windows and there are 5 of them, plus 2 smaller windows. What did you pay for the one in the picture? I cannot bring up a price using Google.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
It is probably easier to just replace the shades.

Ken
Easier if you have a lot of money to spend. At Lowe's we priced them at $600+ for all the windows. Have you priced these accordion shades lately? If not you're in for a big surprise. There are 7 windows in the Dutchman, 5 of them large.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr

I'm asking about rejuvenating the shades our Class-C came with as we saw nothing inexpensive at Lowe's. It would be over $135 per window for the large windows and there are 5 of them, plus 2 smaller windows. What did you pay for the one in the picture? I cannot bring up a price using Google.
I paid about $32 for that one. The 55" ones for some of the other windows were about 80-90$.
A lot cheaper than new day night shades as I recall.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Easier if you have a lot of money to spend. At Lowe's we priced them at $600+ for all the windows. Have you priced these accordion shades lately? If not you're in for a big surprise. There are 7 windows in the Dutchman, 5 of them large.
well... lowes is retail. I guarantee a local window covering business could beat their price.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I paid about $32 for that one. The 55" ones for some of the other windows were about 80-90$.
A lot cheaper than new day night shades as I recall.

Cliff
Thank you. We really can't afford to spend over $600 to replace them all. That's why we were hoping to rejuvenate the old ones which are in good condition just have "age" grunge and are a bit faded and the dark blue color is a turnoff. We weren't looking for the day/night ones, only the least expensive we could find. The least expensive at Lowe's would run over $600 for the 7 windows. A friend on another forum suggested we try fabric spray paint.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
well... lowes is retail. I guarantee a local window covering business could beat their price.
How do I find a wholesale "window covering business" that sells to people who don't own a businesses? Wholesalers don't sell to people off the street.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #10

RanCarr, Fabric paint will work great: however do a base coat or two of white to cover up the blue and then use what ever color you would like.
My son and I did it in his TT last year and they are holding up well. Hope this will help you out. BTW I think his wife purchased the spray cans at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Hope this helps you out.

George
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD View Post
RanCarr, Fabric paint will work great: however do a base coat or two of white to cover up the blue and then use what ever color you would like.
My son and I did it in his TT last year and they are holding up well. Hope this will help you out. BTW I think his wife purchased the spray cans at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Hope this helps you out.

George
Thank you. We have both of those places in easy driving distance. I think it would be worth it for DH and me to give it a try. The rig is also 19 years old so we don't want to put too much more money into it either. This is the rig we call the "money pit."
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #12

RanCarr, it is sure worth the try. One of the other things we did in his TT was used Mimwax Gel stain and redid his cabinets. We used some steel wool to "break" the shine, wiped them down with acetone and used a darker stain applied by hand and rag. They came out great, he installed some new hardware to replace the "gold" colored ones and they are very pleased with the out come. He also removed all the plastic light fixtures, vents, and evrything else that was plastic and faded and repainted them with a bright white (made for plastic) spray paint. It really helped. He also painted his refer door and stove with a high temp "stainless looking" spray paint. He has made a lot of improvments with a little money to his TT. He bought a very nice vinyl "stone pattern" scrap from a local flooring co. One day we will remove the old vinyl and bedroom carpet and put it down. Always something to do.

George
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD View Post
RanCarr, it is sure worth the try. One of the other things we did in his TT was used Mimwax Gel stain and redid his cabinets. We used some steel wool to "break" the shine, wiped them down with acetone and used a darker stain applied by hand and rag.
Our cabinets are in great shape, almost like new and clean, but I already did something similar to the kitchen draw facings that needed a refinishing. I used a semi-gloss Minwax Poly-stain. Hummm... I haven't heard of Minwax gel stain. I have to check that out.

Quote:
They came out great, he installed some new hardware to replace the "gold" colored ones and they are very pleased with the out come. He also removed all the plastic light fixtures, vents, and evrything else that was plastic and faded and repainted them with a bright white (made for plastic) spray paint. It really helped.
Our vents were in such bad shape, cracked, discolored and leaking we replace them all. There are 5 vents. Now you gave me an idea for those yellowed light fixtures. I already have several cans of white spray paint for plastics called Fusion. I bought it for some plastic flower pots and never used it. Great idea. Thanks.

Quote:
He also painted his refer door and stove with a high temp "stainless looking" spray paint. He has made a lot of improvments with a little money to his TT. He bought a very nice vinyl "stone pattern" scrap from a local flooring co. One day we will remove the old vinyl and bedroom carpet and put it down. Always something to do.

George
Improvements with little money - now you're talking. We already tore out the worn out dirty carpeting. We haven't decided what to cover the floor with yet. It's that pressed wood chip stuff. We know a place that sells carpet remnants cheap, but I would rather have vinyl tile or vinyl flooring as it's easier to keep clean and sanitary. But I don't think it would stick to the pressed wood floor even with a sealer since the floor isn't dead flat. Any thoughts on that?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #14

RanCarr, the flooring he bought is real high dollar type, it is not designed to be glued down. It has a very tick underside almost like a 1/8 rubber pad. The way this is installed is you lay it out, trim to fit, and staple the edges. Then using a "shoe type" molding you cover the staples along the walls/cabs ect and then use a transition strip around any openings ie stair well or hall way. If your floor is in real bad shape, maybe you could put down a luain underlayment and then install the flooring.

The Gel stain is great, check it out.