Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Adding a Fantastic fan to existing vent.

I would like to install a Fantastic fan in my 2 year old MH, but don't relish the idea of removing all the caulking. Is there a fan model that can be installed reusing the still in great shape plastic flange?

My current vents are made by Heng's and I have replaced the lids with Ventline polycarbonates after a recent hail storm took out 2 of the 3. I'm not wanting the auto closing model or the rain sensor, but hopefully model 4000R will work for me without so much roof work.

okmunky is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #2

There are some small vent fan motors that mount on a cross bar, but only has about a 4" very inefficient fan, nothing like a Fantastic fan that I know of. Just go for the Fantastic that fits your need/budget and replace the entire unit. Nothing to worry about with the caulking. Just be sure to have a roll of putty tape handy that will fill old screw holes and don't use the foam that comes with the new assembly. Not a big deal to replace the entire vent. Will probably take longer to uncover/located the old screw heads than installing the new vent. Be sure you have the necessary wiring, caulking, puttytape you may need, before "opening up the hole.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I would like to install a Fantastic fan in my 2 year old MH, but don't relish the idea of removing all the caulking. Is there a fan model that can be installed reusing the still in great shape plastic flange?

My current vents are made by Heng's and I have replaced the lids with Ventline polycarbonates after a recent hail storm took out 2 of the 3. I'm not wanting the auto closing model or the rain sensor, but hopefully model 4000R will work for me without so much roof work.

Get one of these or a similar oscillating tool and the matching scraper blade.

Ryobi 18-Volt JobPlus Base with Multi-tool Attachment (Tool Only)-P340 at The Home Depot

Makes short work of removing caulk, eternabond, etc. You won't regret the purchase. Really !! ... about 2 hours to remove old vent, clean surface, and install a Fantastic or Maxair. You'll use the tool for lots of other projects.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

CW has a replacement fan unit with a bezel that works like the shroud on an engine radiator. It mounts from the inside, not much money, looks like a good deal.

Have a look.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-upgrade/49448
Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #5

Murf2u has the right idea, Just replaced mine last week with what he recommends. It was shipped very fast, $46.50 including shipping. Same fan Camping World has. I hope the link below works. Instillation was easy for me but I am handy my wife says. Best thing, all work done from inside.

The link did not work but the vendor is Adventure RV, same price as their E bay listing.

ReelTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
CW has a replacement fan unit with a bezel that works like the shroud on an engine radiator. It mounts from the inside, not much money, looks like a good deal.

Have a look.

Vortex Replacement Vent Fan Upgrade - Heng's Industries 90043-CR - Vents - Camping World
Here is another but with a variable speed control.
New Vortex RV Roof Vent Fan Upgrade Kit Multiple Speed | eBay
Old 05-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Barb, if you want a Fantastic Fan I'd go ahead and also buy a tube of Dicor self-leveling caulk and install it properly. The FF is very quiet, has great product support, and works well as a reversible fan and also a vent when not running. Not sure those other fans can compare.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Barb, if you want a Fantastic Fan I'd go ahead and also buy a tube of Dicor self-leveling caulk and install it properly. The FF is very quiet, has great product support, and works well as a reversible fan and also a vent when not running. Not sure those other fans can compare.
I could not agree more.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced our old Fantastic Fan for the new Fantastic Fan model 6600R. Having the remote control is a great feature. The rain sensor on the new model can be turned on and off.

Changing it wasn't a big deal. Scraping off the old caulk wasn't all that hard to do. The whole job only took a couple of hours.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fantastic fan it is, caulk scraping if I must. A rain sensor would have come in handy today. An unexpected rain storm soaked the end of my bed when I was 30 miles away. But a remote control would be an irresistible new toy to Sena. She likes to disassemble them. Life with a monkey is never easy, but never dull.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
A heat gun or even a hair dryer can soften the caulk and make it much easier to scrape up. It also requires less pressure on the putty knife, thus lessening the chance of cutting the EDPM roof.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #12

I installed two Fantastik fans and a retrofit replacement fan using the stock shroud. My adventure wasn't removing the caulk but getting electric to the two new fans that replaced passive vents. I couldn't get into the ceiling as I have ducts so I surface mounted the wiring stealing the power from nearby lites. All three new fans work great...glad I did it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1550.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	39006  
Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just replaced the vent lids, thanks to an Oklahoma hail storm, and thankfully Forest River ran 12 volt power to all the vents. So caulk scraping will hopefully be my biggest challenge, but I'll take a heat gun up top, thanks to Bob's suggestion.

Thanks everyone for your help. Now if someone can tell me how to add a few more hours to my day, I might get all my projects done. The list is LONG!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A heat gun or even a hair dryer can soften the caulk and make it much easier to scrape up. It also requires less pressure on the putty knife, thus lessening the chance of cutting the EDPM roof.
A tool like this: Multifunction Oscillating Power Tool - 1.6 Amp, 120 Volt, with a scrapper blade attached, makes the removal of old caulking easy.
We used one to remove the old caulk from my "roof to fiberglass cap joints" before applying Eternabond tape
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
fan, vent