RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #1

Adding a Magnum battery monitor kit to Tiffin Phaeton

Hi all, just seeking some advice on where to attach the shunt on our 2014 Tiffin Phaeton that has six house batteries. Should we attach it to the thick main negative cable off the battery bank or somewhere else off this panel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4679.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	260125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4680.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	311.1 KB
ID:	260126  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4681.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	260127  

cmillet77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #2

It needs to go between all of the batteries negetive terminals and the first connection to anything, including chassis ground.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #3

If the circled cable is the only negetive cable going to the batteries, you can remove that cable and run that to the shunt. Then get a short cable from the shunt back to the empty terminal.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-09-12-15-50-07.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	260129
Old 09-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #4

Yes, that is the main negative cable off the battery bank. I will try as you suggest and report back!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #5

Yup, this worked perfect! BMK installed.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If the circled cable is the only negetive cable going to the batteries, you can remove that cable and run that to the shunt. Then get a short cable from the shunt back to the empty terminal.Attachment 260129
Hi twinboat, so I thought I got this installed correctly per your suggestion which also agreed with other articles I was reading. However, the polarity seems to be reversed on the BM Meters.. i.e. the DC amps menu shows positive when the inverter is running and negative when charging. The BMK manual says to reverse the sense wires in that scenario so I did, and the polarity is still reversed. I triple checked how I wired up the shunt to the manual so I was surprised at the issue initially and even more baffled that it didn't change after changing the wires.. any ideas?
Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #7

The point of shunt attachment is negetive battery side, correct ?

Time to call Magnum.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #8

Correct. Main battery negative cable is rerouted into shunt then I ran a new 2/0 cable to the open terminal you circled. Everything is working fine AC and DC wise.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:46 PM   #9

Ok so I put the sense cables back in original position (blue on battery, Orange on load) and also re-ran the negative for the bmk power from battery direct to the negative bus bar. Now everything is correct on polarity! Odd!

Now I’m kind of surprised to see I’m pulling about 27 DC amps. 18 of it is the residential fridge but my smart plug that the fridge is on says it’s only pulling 118 watts which I would think is <10A (118 / 12.6v). Am I really losing that much to inverter efficiency? The ms2012 is 80% efficient so even if I add 25% that’s still 12.5 amps, not 18. Even with inverter off I’m pulling around 8 DC amps and if I turn off most 12V stuff I can it down to 2A draw which I assume is mostly the magnum inverter/charger fans which I also just replaced and they now run high speed all the time now.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #10

Your inverter has a 2 amp idle mode draw. That may be happening all of the time, along with the actual appliance draw.

Keep picking at it to find all of the phantom loads.

Some use standalone 1000 watt PSW inverters for the120 volt fridge. Good ones only draw <.5 amps at idle. Doesn't seem like a big difference but its 48 AH a day compared to 12 AH just having the inverter on for the fridge.

Tags
battery, monitor, phaeton, tiffin