Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #1

Adding an inverter

I need some advice with installing a 1500 watt inverter to my 1990 Pace Arrow. I understand the small inverter I have above the passenger side of the coach that runs the TV. It does seem to have small wires from the battery to the inverter, then wired to the receptacles in the same compartment for the TV.

I want to install my 1500 watt inverter some where in the coach to run appliances in the kitchen, mid catch. The battery's are in the front of the coach. Do I mount the inverter in the kitchen area and use what size wire from the battery's? Or do I mouth it near the battery's and run what size wire to the kitchen receptacles.

Any and all comments are welcome
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The large inverter needs to be placed near the batteries connected with heavy wire. There is a very large amp draw from the batteries.

You can just power the whole house from the inverter if you want by simply plugging the shore power cord to the inverter. This is how my coach I set up. I use point of use inverters for the TV/DVD/SAT and one in the dining area and another in the bedroom. The whole house inverter is used for the microwave, coffee pot, etc.

Things that will run on gas are used that way, such a the refrigerator and water heater as there current draw on electric is large.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
A converter converts 120 volts into 12 volts. An inverted converts 12 volts into 120 volts. Sometimes people are confused because some of the newer devices people buy as converters also contain an inveter and are even advertised as an inverter.

Yes, a 1500 watt inverter requires around 150 amps so a large wire is required and the shorter the better. The wire to the 120 volts system will have around 12 amps so an extension size, say no 12, wire of almost any length will work. I think this answers all of you questions.

Reminds me of a recent post I made suggesting that anyone giving electrical advice should own a multimeter.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

I own a multi meter but not smart enough to understand how to use it.

Now I got more thoughts. Plug in shore power to the new inverter? I thought the shore power was already going to my house inverter now? Do I need to separate things?
Old 09-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I own a multi meter but not smart enough to understand how to use it.

Now I got more thoughts. Plug in shore power to the new inverter? I thought the shore power was already going to my house inverter now? Do I need to separate things?
Ensure here you have the terms inverter and converter used properly, easy to confuse. When connected as I suggested you do need to disable any converter (battery charger) as you will have a undesirable circle of charger going. Any existing inverter should be connected to the battery bank and not affected. If you have a combination inverter/charger (converter) there should be a way to disable or turn off the charger portion.

In my case I have a converter and simply turn it off when connecting shore power to the inverter.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Let me just say, the shore power DOES NOT connect to the shore power? If this is not so, then we need to stop and get it clear in your mind.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #7

Back to making it simple!

I assume I have a converter that came with the Motor Home! Plug it in to shore power and it charges the batteries and powers all receptacles in the Motor Home.

At this time the only inverter I have is for my TV! It works one receptacle in the TV area.

In order to use my 1500 Watt inverter to power a receptacle in the Kitchen. I need to use the short heavy wire that came with the inverter and keep it close to the batter bank. I can then simply attach it to the batteries? + and -. Then run a number 12 house wire to the receptacle in the kitchen? Disconnecting it from the present install and use it only as power when I am not using my generator or shore power?
Old 09-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I assume I have a converter that came with the Motor Home! Plug it in to shore power and it charges the batteries and powers all receptacles in the Motor Home.

At this time the only inverter I have is for my TV! It works one receptacle in the TV area.

In order to use my 1500 Watt inverter to power a receptacle in the Kitchen. I need to use the short heavy wire that came with the inverter and keep it close to the batter bank. I can then simply attach it to the batteries? + and -. Then run a number 12 house wire to the receptacle in the kitchen? Disconnecting it from the present install and use it only as power when I am not using my generator or shore power?
Yes. If all you want to power is that one outlet you can wire it to an outlet. The inverter installation directions likely speak to the size of wire and a fuse / circuit breaker to the battery. Also be sure and follow any grounding instructions.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a microwave? What else do you have in the RV that you want the inverter/converter to work with? What are the wattage's of those appliances? If any of them take more than the inverter then you will either need to not have it do that appliance or have a bigger inverter/converter.
ie a 1500 watt inverter with a 1650 watt microwave/convection oven will not work nice together for long.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #10

Quote:
I need some advice with installing a 1500 watt inverter to my 1990 Pace Arrow. I understand the small inverter I have above the passenger side of the coach that runs the TV. It does seem to have small wires from the battery to the inverter, then wired to the receptacles in the same compartment for the TV.

I want to install my 1500 watt inverter some where in the coach to run appliances in the kitchen, mid catch. The battery's are in the front of the coach. Do I mount the inverter in the kitchen area and use what size wire from the battery's? Or do I mouth it near the battery's and run what size wire to the kitchen receptacles.

Any and all comments are welcome
homeless
Close to the battery is preferable, (the shorter the 12VDC cables the better).
The when you buy the inverter the installation manual that comes with will tell you that.
Mel
'96 Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
If you have a combination inverter/charger (converter) there should be a way to disable or turn off the charger portion.

In my case I have a converter and simply turn it off when connecting shore power to the inverter.
vsheetz
Why in the world would you want the charger portion disabled or turned off when/if you have shore power??

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
You do not want the inverted trying to supply power to the city. Your battery would last long. The combined units do not need any attention. And I am guessing that the modern inverters probably senses when it is connected to the line and takes care of itself. There probably are enough people who forgot to turn it off and they had to protect their product from mad customer.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post

vsheetz
Why in the world would you want the charger portion disabled or turned off when/if you have shore power??

Mel
'96 Safari
I am referring to my scenario of the whole coach being powered by the inverter rather than shore power. In this scenario he converter must be disabled.

Else you are using the batteries to power the inverter which is powering the converter which is charging the batteries. If this were 100% efficient you would have one heck of a perpetual motion machine. (-:
Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I am referring to my scenario of the whole coach being powered by the inverter rather than shore power. In this scenario he converter must be disabled.

Else you are using the batteries to power the inverter which is powering the converter which is charging the batteries. If this were 100% efficient you would have one heck of a perpetual motion machine. (-:
vsheetz
Both the charger portionand the converter portionof an "inverter/converter/charger" need to be disabled/turned off when the RV is using battery power only....(not ONLY the converter portion).

On my coach, both the charger, and the converter, (which are built into my Heart Freedom 20 "inverter/converter/charger"), are automatically OFF/disabled, if/when no shore or generator 120VAC power is available.

Does your "inverter/converter/charger" operate differently?

Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped, inverter