Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #29

You should find the data sticker under your hood, engine compartment with all the info you need to service your system. This info is there for the service tech. If you are not a certified or other wise trained A/C person, you can still use the ad a can method successfully if all you have is a small leak requiring refilling once every few years. This is perfectly legal also. There is no such thing as a drop in replacement refrigerant. There will always be necessary modification to systems that are changed over for one refrigerant to another, always. If you find you have an R-12 system, forget the DIY. Have it changed over by a shop and be done with it, unless you do have the skills and knowledge to do it yourself. Once the system is properly done, you may or may not notice a decrease on cooling performance. This depends on what shape the system was in before the switch. That being said, you will more that likely experience better service for your properly completed transformed system. It won't be money wasted to have it done professionally. Not to knock any of the fine gents and advice given, I've seen this issue too many times to short cut it. It's not worth it, get it done right.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #30

The commercial folks here use hot shot as a direct replacement.

It is a blend of things but it is used by the commercial folks.

We use it in our 1989 and it works fine.

Problem with the r12 systems are tgey were built to a lower spec than today so they all leak some.

Convert to 134 and not change the hoses they leak mire due to smaller moleclue that can go through the hose.

If one can does not fix it then you may have other issues or bigger leak.

If so a pro may be required.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I got the A/C Pro recharge kit from Auto Zone yesterday. It seems simple enough so I will give it a try today. I did verify that my system uses the R134a refrigerant.

ACP-100 A/C Pro Professional Formula R-134a Refrigerant Car AC Recharge
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I got the A/C Pro recharge kit from Auto Zone yesterday. It seems simple enough so I will give it a try today. I did verify that my system uses the R134a refrigerant.

ACP-100 A/C Pro Professional Formula R-134a Refrigerant Car AC Recharge
It is simple, and I am amazed at some of the comments about exploding cans, how it is so important to pay a mechanic to do it, and the collapse of civilization being caused by the fact that it might not work, because there might be a serious problem with the AC system...
This cheap, and easy fix is how you find out if there is a problem, or you just need some refrigerant, without spending a couple hundred dollars first.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #33

Back in the day with r12 when all connectors were same sized there were bigger risks and having a non checked hose that would allow back flow connected to the high side on a hot day certianly could get interesting.

Current design is relitivly safe...as long as one knows their limitations and is careful.

Adding one can to a rv sized system may not overcharge a unit...ours has compressor at back...condenser at front and an evaporator at each end so a couple cans likely to not make difference...we use the big jug and a manifold...

However an automotive sized unit may take less than one can to go from slightly under to well over both conditions not cooling correctly resulting in waste of effort and setup for larger issues.

Good to as how and gain knowedge and if not fully comfortable pay someone.

If comfortable then go for it while taking care to do it the best you can.

Be sure to have thermometer and know what to expect so you stop at the correct place.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just added the R134a to my system and it made a HUGE difference in the temp of the air from the vents!

I do have one problem. The can that came with the kit was 20 oz. When it was empty the gauge was up to the lower edge of the green. I went back and bought a 12 oz can and put all that in and the gauge is still at the same place! I suspect that the gauge must be defective. Does anyone know how many ounces it should take?
Old 06-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I returned the gauge to Auto Zone and got a new one. It reads the same as the other one!

I don't know what to do from here. I have another can of freon but I'm afraid to put it in since the last one didn't put the needle any higher into the green. Has anyone ever experienced this?
Old 06-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Better stop putting in refrigerant until you read the label on your evaporator. It should tell you how much the system was charged with from the factory. Add up the ounces you have added. You may already be past the needed amount. Now is the time to be careful like many other posters here have said to you...
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
Better stop putting in refrigerant until you read the label on your evaporator. It should tell you how much the system was charged with from the factory. Add up the ounces you have added. You may already be past the needed amount. Now is the time to be careful like many other posters here have said to you...
Agreed. Once you have a proper charge in the A/C, any additional refrigerant is stored as a liquid in the condenser, taking up valuable cooling space and causing it to run hotter. Some is ok, but a lot (based on charge percentage) can cause discharge pressures to get very high and damage the compressor or rupture a line or the condenser itself. I would suggest that you probably have enough in it.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks fellows! I'll just hold off adding any more until I can figure out why the gauge is not changing. Maybe someone else will have some ideas about that. I'll call the company that made the gauge Monday and see what they think.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #39

Gulf Streamers Club
You mentioned 'a huge temperature drop' after adding the R-134a. How much different from outside air? 20º is about as much as a dash air can do, a bit more if you're on max air and recirculating cabin air and drying it out in recycling. If on max air, put one thermometer in the vent and another in the intake under the dash to measure differential.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
You mentioned 'a huge temperature drop' after adding the R-134a. How much different from outside air? 20º is about as much as a dash air can do, a bit more if you're on max air and recirculating cabin air and drying it out in recycling. If on max air, put one thermometer in the vent and another in the intake under the dash to measure differential.

Bob, I didn't measure it with the laser gun because I was more concerned with the pressure reading on the gauge. Before adding the R134a, the air coming out of the vents felt cool but never cold. Now it is cold!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Joe, that is my point from my last post. There probably is nothing wrong with your gauge. The pressure may not get higher as the system is running in equilibrium (the easiest way to explain it) and any more refrigerant will only increase the high side pressure which you do not have the gauge on, not necessarily the low side pressure (where you are charging it from).
Old 06-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
If is is cold then it is fixed. Don't keep fixing it till it breaks.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote