RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2017, 06:10 AM   #1

Adding hose to run outdoor gas Grill - regulator pressure?

I'm doing the typical gas grill mod (I have the Weber Q1200) where the grill's regulator is removed and a quick connect fitting is installed so I can run the propane from the coach's tank (and not use the disposable bottles the Q1200 is setup to use).

My Coach has a metal pipe for propane distribution that runs in the basement along the frame. Off this pipe are teed fittings for the interior cooktop and the refrigerator (which has been changed to residential style) with a pipe cap at the end.

Can I connect the propane hose for the outdoor grill to the (now unused) fitting that was originally for the refrigerator?

Is the OEM pressure regulator located at the tank set to provide the same pressure that the Weber Gill would use? In other words, does the interior gas cooktop and propane refrigerator operate on the same pressure that the Weber Gas grill needs?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mike-

Have you considered installing an "Extend-a-Stay" four-way tee in front of the regulator instead? That tee allows use of unmodified regulated gas appliances, and also allows input of LP from outboard cylinders.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Mike-

Have you considered installing an "Extend-a-Stay" four-way tee in front of the regulator instead? That tee allows use of unmodified regulated gas appliances, and also allows input of LP from outboard cylinders.
X2!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #4

...lots of discussion on this topic--if you can remove the regulator on the grill--then the main regulator on house tank will provide low pressure propane...the problem for many is having a grill with a built-in regulator.....also, the "camp fire in a can" be an issue as it often requires a higher volume of gas.....like a fish fryer.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #5

Extend-a-stay is what I use but to answer Mike's question; yes, the regulated propane pressure in the RV is the same as what the modified grill will need and you can use the no longer needed refrigerator connection to install a quick disconnect with a ball valve shutoff.

tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Adding hose to run outdoor gas Grill - regulator pressure?

I used extend a stay with a 12 foot hose and it ruined the regulator on the Weber grill. Weber replaces it for free but said I should use a shorter hose. The RV Geeks also have documented the issue on YouTube and have difference solution (http://www.thervgeeks.com/propane/bbq-grill-connection/). Since I want to use a long hose, I modified my Weber grill and itís working great.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #7
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
The LP distribution in the MH should be low pressure, specifically, 11 Inches Water..

I did something similar when hooking up a modified Mr Buddy Heater. I "T"ed into the MH LP supply, I added a ball valve between the "T" and the quick disconnect fitting..
I then had a ten foot hose with a Quick Disconnect attached to the Mr Buddy.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
Community Moderator

there should be a port after the regulator. use that port with a valve and a quick connector. do not touch the fridge/stove lines.
that was how i did and always good.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
11 inches of water is just less than 1/2 psi, so it's very low.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #10

...oh shucks--go ahead and touch the "un-used" fridge stub for your connection [smile]..it wont bite!
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #11

You might want to also get QD fittings for the grillís own regulator so you will have the flexibility of using it if wanted or needed. For example, on our trip to Alaska this summer we broke a spring hangar on our TT and we didnít know we had done so for a couple of weeks or so. The spring hanger gouged the black pipe going to the rear of the trailer and a QD that I hooked up our modified Q1200 to bad enough the repair shop in Tok removed that section of black pipe and plugged the junction. Since I had also put a QD on the Q1200ís regulator I was able to use it to continue grilling.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
You might want to also get QD fittings for the grillís own regulator so you will have the flexibility of using it if wanted or needed.
That's a great idea. Thanks.

In the videos and threads I've seen, everyone is teeing into their coach tank "before" the regulator, then adding their Extend-A-Stay fitting (or Tee) and also installing a Regulator for the hose to the Grill.

Since I already have an unused fitting "after" the coach's regulator, I'm asking if I can save the money and trouble of teeing in before the coach's regulator like in the the videos and just use the port already there which means I'm then relying on the coach regulator to feed the Grill.

I don't think volume will be an issue. The Weber Q1200 is 8500 BTU. The OEM cooktop (Gaggenau VG232 series is 9500 BTU on the large burner and 6500 BTU on the small burner) so there should be plenty of gas available to feed the grill (as the refrigerator is no longer propane and ths inside cooktop won't be used when we are outside using the Weber.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #13

My Q1200, modified with a QD hose that attached the grill to the QD on the black pipe running to the rear of our Bullet from the LP junction fitting that had lines to the stove, reefer and furnace worked fine off the trailerís main regulator. The adapter hose went straight to the Q1200 with the little regulator removed. Works great, so I do not see why you would have a problem.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #14

Thanks Bill, and everyone that responded. That's what I wanted to hear.

Tags
door, gas, outdoor