Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #1

Adding Inverter need wiring diagram for second auto transfer switch

Doing a rebuild on my 99’ fleetwood. Since my goal is 8 batteries 800+ AH , 3500watt inverter , stock 5500 watt gen along with a total of 500watts of solar. Anyone have a electrical diagram on wiring in a second transfer switch for the inverter?
Bmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #2

do you mean you are 'adding' a secondary ATS, or 'replacing' your current one?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #3

Adding a second
I think wiring is pretty straight forward as it’s directly after the first ats. So the line going to the breaker box should be split to the second ATS along with the inverter then output goes to breaker. Right?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 10yr old Dimensions inverter and it has a built in transfer switch. Think you will find most of the inverters used in today's modern RVs also have one. The internal transfer switch obviously feeds only the circuits/outlets connected to the inverter when shorepower is available. You shouldn't need another separate transfer assuming you aren't looking a cheap inverters.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What you are looking for is a bypass switch. This device bypasses the inverter if shore power or generator is unavailable (only if not installed in the inverter). You would also need a sub breaker panel. This panel would be feed from a 30 amp breaker installed in your main AC panel. Then the sub panel will have breakers installed removed from the main panel to feed the loads powered by the inverter.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ron Postma- that is exactly what the transfer switch in the inverter is designed to do. No need for addition hardware if you purchase an inverter such as Magnum product.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtech View Post
Adding a second
I think wiring is pretty straight forward as it’s directly after the first ats. So the line going to the breaker box should be split to the second ATS along with the inverter then output goes to breaker. Right?
Doing the way you suggest get everything running on the inverter.

If you have a gas/electric fridge, they draw a lot of power on electric. Best to run them on gas.
An electric water heater will run down the batteries quickly.

The ACs will kill your batteries in 5 to 6 hours.

This is why most inverters are tied in after the main panel breaker to a sub panel wired with only the things you want to run on inverter.

With that kind of setup, you could use this switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2018-03-26-21-29-55.png
Views:	120
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	196908  
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 AM   #8

Yes I did go the cheap route with a modified inverter. I plan on getting Xantrex System but that will have to wait. I got a 3500 watt inverter from Home Depot online. It does not have a pass through. My goal is to get a residential refrigerate which will be run by the inverter. With my solar and my 800ah I shouldn’t have a problem. I’ll look into the sub panel
Old 03-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just do a you were planning. Add it after the existing transfer switch. Then the inverter is turned on it activates the second transfer switch switching power from the shore cord/generator to inverter. When inverter is shut off it reverts back to regular power from shore cord/generator. Just wire the coil to the inverter. You will need to manually turn off the converter and switch refrigerator to propane.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #10

I was rebuilding the refrigerator cabinet and making some adjustment to the frig itself and think I shorted out the propane side of the circuit board. It still runs on 120 but don’t think it will transfer to LP. And I’m not interested in replacing 20 year old tech. I would rather use it for a year or so and put in a residential frig. Just working out the power requirements. At the moment have 6 6volt 210ah batteries plus 200 watts of solar. I pretty much gutted this 99 pace arrow. It’s amazing the kind of low quality workmanship that went into the interior. But I guess that’s how they keep prices down on the lower class a RVs.. On the transfer switch go power has a nice one that even has the secondary for the converter. Then I also need a automatic genny turn on switch. It’s mind blowing how much a rebuild involves.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #11

Find out the watts the fridge uses and divide that by 12 volts to see how many amps it draws.

Now if it comes out to 40 amps@12 volts. That will be 40 amps per hour or 40 AHs from your battery.

Since absorbsion fridges seem to run almost constantly, In 10 hours that will be near 400 AH.

That's more then 1/2 of your battery capacity over 1 night.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, switch, transfer switch, wiring, wiring diagram