Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #1

Adding portable solar panels?

i have 2x100W panels on the roof and the Bogart Engineering SC-2030 solar charger
i want to add another 200W of portable panels
i want to add a port on the side and connect the portable panels in parallel with the 2 on the roof
i bought the RV 2nd hand and have no idea who manufactured the roof panels (i added the Bogart stuff)
do i need to be concerned other than i need 12V panels?

mark
Mkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #2

Don't think so, will need a separate controller for the portables. Should be water proof though.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #3

I agree that you are better off getting a separate controller for the portable panels since without knowing the limits or capabilities of your current controller or the "open circuit voltage or current" of your roof mounted panels or more importantly, whether your roof panels are connected in series or in parallel, it's hard to know if or how you should wire in your portable ones to an existing system.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #4

roof panels are wired in parallel
another controller seems like overkill
how much variation in panel output voltage exists out there?

mark
Old 11-17-2019, 06:34 AM   #5

Your controller will handle 30 amps. You will be fine paralleling 2 more 12 volt, 100 watt panels.

With the PWM controller, your roof panels are 12 volt if your RV system is.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #6

i know the math says i could have more than 30A, but in reality all 4 panels will never be 100%
Old 11-17-2019, 07:15 AM   #7

You're probably ok, since they all are only 100W panels, your individual max amps is only ~6 amps, which when in parellel adds up to ~24 amps which doesn't exceed the contollers 30 amp rating.
There are other issues which impact your total system performance when connecting different panels together since whichever panel has the lowest amperage (when in series) or voltage (when in parallel) will limit the performance of the other panels in the system (unless they have their own controllers). Also panel type will determine how the system will perform (i.e. if the old ones are polycrystalline and the new ones are monocrystaline then the polys will limit the performance of the monos, just like a bad or weak battery will draw down your entire battery bank.)
Renogy (among many others) have info of how to hook up panels for different configurations.
https://www.renogy.com/learn-series-and-parallel/
Old 11-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #8

the roof panels are poly, was going to get the same
not sure if there will be any identifying logo on the back of the panels (in storage until April)

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels