Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Additional inverter for residential frig?

I just upgraded my Magnum 2012 MSW inverter (it failed, 8yrs old) to their PSW unit (same output). Might I expect this inverter to consume more power from the house batts? If yes, would it be prudent to install a separate small (500 watt?) inverter to run my Samsung RF194 overnight? I boondock about 1/2 the time and also have a 480 watt solar system. If fully charged by 10pm, the batt bank (440 amp hrs) would read about 60% full around 7 am. If the PSW inverter is going to draw more juice, I would be concerned the batt bank would draw down even further by morning. Hence, my question about adding a smaller inverter for the frig. Your advice would be most appreciated! Is there a particular inverter you would recommend for this?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If the load is the same, then the energy consumption by the inverter should be about the same. Can you see if Magnum publishes efficiency rating for the two different inverters?

How many batteries do you have now? I would think adding more batteries would be a better solution than another inverter.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Adding another inverter will increase the total draw, unless you plan on turning off the original one. Even then I would think more batteries would be a better solution.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the two previous responders are correct. The new inverter will not draw significantly more current than the previous one, and should not present a problem.

Increasing your battery capacity could help in a couple of ways.
  • Additional battery capacity (additional batteries) would provide power for other activities and uses
  • Additional capacity would help your current batteries last longer, by decreasing the depth of discharge each cycle.

Just a suggestion.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inverters pose a "tax" on the batteries while running...the bigger inverter, the bigger the "overhead".
This is part of the factors of the inverter called "efficiency".

With a second 500W inverter just for the Fridge, the overhead loss can be reduced to power the fridge. BUT, to see the goal increase in the battery life, you will need to turn-off the bigger inverter when not in use.

As far as the effiency of the described old MSW vs. the new PSW...I would venture a guess that the new one is more efficient. The manuals would describe these numbers.

Another benefit of having the second inverter is redundancy. If the one inverter fails, the Fridge can be kept running by switching to a plug on the other inverter with no loss of food stocks

More batteries will give you a deeper "well" to draw juice from. That is never a bad thing when boondocking, as long as charging demands are factored into the mix. But in our experience, energy use management provide the biggest gains to life off the grid.

Best luck.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #6

I would also think that the draw from the fridge compressor will be lower with a cleaner sinewave.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would also think that the draw from the fridge compressor will be lower with a cleaner sinewave.

Thank you everyone. Collectively, you all have made an excellent argument for adding to the battery bank. I will, however, compare the efficiency ratings of both Inverters.

Many, many thanks.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
If the load is the same, then the energy consumption by the inverter should be about the same. Can you see if Magnum publishes efficiency rating for the two different inverters?

How many batteries do you have now? I would think adding more batteries would be a better solution than another inverter.

FlyingDriver: I presently have 4 6v wetcell golf cart batteries for a total of 440 amp hrs and a 480 watt solar system. When boon docking, the inverter runs 24/7 to,power the residential frig.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #9

The new inverter should be much more efficient. MSW typically require motors and appliances to draw more power to start and run due to the "dirty"wave and their compensation of it. They also generate more heat on MSW which translates into wasted energy. the PSW won't cause this and should be more efficient as a result of fewer losses.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
FlyingDriver: I presently have 4 6v wetcell golf cart batteries for a total of 440 amp hrs and a 480 watt solar system. When boon docking, the inverter runs 24/7 to,power the residential frig.

I had a Magnum 2812 PSW inverter installed going on 3 years ago when I had my Samsung 197 installed and it has been running on the inverter from day 1, don't have to reset the microwave clock. I have 4 6v wet batteries and can run about 8 to 10 hrs then have to start the gen set for about 2 hrs best time to cook while the batteries are being charged.
No need to get another inverter, get an auto genset start when your batteries get to 12.2v the genset starts
Wireless Auto-Start EC-30W : RV Boat Parts
'Y' harness is required for installation (sold separately).
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
2-Stroker: Thanks for the tip. I actually just purchased Magmums Auto Gen Start kit for about $200 but have not installed it yet.

After you run your batts down for the 8-10 hrs, what voltage reading are you getting from the batts?

Old 01-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I had a Magnum 2812 PSW inverter installed going on 3 years ago when I had my Samsung 197 installed and it has been running on the inverter from day 1, don't have to reset the microwave clock. I have 4 6v wet batteries and can run about 8 to 10 hrs then have to start the gen set for about 2 hrs best time to cook while the batteries are being charged.
No need to get another inverter, get an auto genset start when your batteries get to 12.2v the genset starts
Wireless Auto-Start EC-30W : RV Boat Parts
'Y' harness is required for installation (sold separately).
2 stroker
Thanks for the link. We have auto start built in but it doesn't work and I might just be easier and cheaper to bypass the whole thing and use the wireless unit. Kind of hate to do that but we do need to be able to start the gen set without stopping, running the gen slide out and starting it from the control panel then do the steps backwards each time we need to start it.

Good price BTW!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter