Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #1

Advice on Roof Top A/C Options

My forward rooftop A/C unit is not functioning and I have no reason to believe that it's not the original unit from 1989, so rather than troubleshoot and repair, I'd like to replace it with a more modern unit.

My questions for those in the know are:
1) What are the benefits of going with a heat pump unit vs. a heat strip?
2) My system is non-ducted and does not have a wired thermostat-- is it possible to buy a unit that can be thermostatically controlled with a wireless controller?
3) I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have plenty of tools (mostly hammers and glue ) -- is there any reason that I shouldn't attempt this install myself?
4) Any other features/concerns I should be aware of while shopping for the unit?

Thanks in advance,
Devin
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Devin,
We just spent 5 nights in Yellowstone and a "fine print" part of the Monaco owners manual came to light. Heat pumps do not come on at 30 deg. or less!!!! When you really need it, it doesn't work.
My vote would be for the heat strip especially as both are using the RV park electricity.
Harold Miller
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I did not know that about heat pumps. Mine is a strip so I guess I am good. I also have a wireless remote which is REALLY nice. Lay in bed and adjust accordingly. My unit is a Carrier but I am ducted. I would start there and see if they have a non-ducted unit. Mine is a 13,500btu unit x 2 for the size. Hope this helps.
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
My rig came with both AC's having a heat pump and we use them a whole lot more than the propane furnace. As posted above, they won't do you any good at temperatures below 30 or so but there are many days that they can be used. My recommendation would be to get the heat pump.

Regarding installing it, I'll leave that discussion to others.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will take 'em by the numbers

Q1) What are the benefits of going with a heat pump unit vs. a heat strip?

A1: It takes less energy to MOVE heat than to Generate it, so the advantage of a heat pump over Electric heat is a savings on electricity, over Propane it's a savings on gas. However you need both, because when it gets REAL cold out (Like below 35 (F) ) heat pumps.. SHUT DOWN if they are properly designed.

Q2) My system is non-ducted and does not have a wired thermostat-- is it possible to buy a unit that can be thermostatically controlled with a wireless controller?

A2: Yes, Carrier V, however I recommend against them if you wish them to control the furnace.. As Air Conditioners, or as Heat pumps, the only issue is the remote eats batteries like they were M&Ms but they work well... Just use a seperate t-stat for the furnace and they are great

NOTE: The Carrier V Units in my coach require 12vdc for control board ... If your unit does not have 12 volts at that hole in the roof.. Just ask and I'll tell you the so easy you may fall off the chair laughing work around.

Q3) I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have plenty of tools (mostly hammers and glue ) -- is there any reason that I shouldn't attempt this install myself?

A3: Well, it is suggested you have a partner assist you but .... Not really

Q4) Any other features/concerns I should be aware of while shopping for the unit?

A4: I think you have 'em covered.. You may wish to look at capacity of the unit and warranty and things like that, but I think you've covered most of what you need to cover
Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #6

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for all of the great responses! I've definitely got a more clear idea of the route to take on the unit.

wa8yxm -- so I could buy a Carrier V like this and there is a compatible remote?:

http://www.adventurerv.net/carrier-a...te-p-1840.html

If so, what is the compatible wireless t-stat? I don't need it to control the furnace as I've got a wired t-stat in place for that. I just want to make sure that my dogs wouldn't get cooked in hot weather. That's also an interesting point on the 12VDC -- I forgot that the unit must be 120VAC, so there might not be a wire with that spec. I guess I'll know soon!

It sounds like a heat pump may be an OK way to go as the roof unit in the master BR has a heat strip and I've also got a propane furnace, so one way or another I'll avoid icing up!
Old 05-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Devin,
We just spent 5 nights in Yellowstone and a "fine print" part of the Monaco owners manual came to light. Heat pumps do not come on at 30 deg. or less!!!! When you really need it, it doesn't work.
My vote would be for the heat strip especially as both are using the RV park electricity.
Harold Miller
The whole point of an RV is to get away from temp <35° and >90°.

Get ye into said RV and drive the appropriate direction.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote