Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #1

Advice request Relion AGM 6V batteries?

I have a '97 Pleasureway class b. A common problem, moving to two 6v batteries with limited space has vaulted me into the more expensive AGM market. I am also replacing my converter with Progressive Dynamics PD4600/45. Naturally I want the best, most economical battery available. As it turns out, I may be out of bounds using "AGM" and "economical" in the same sentence. They aren't cheap.

I found RELION AGM 6V GC2-225 for $209.97 and did my best to compare specs with Trojan, Universal and VMAXTANKS (all more expensive) but I really don't know what I'm looking at. Further, while there seems to be good consumer confidence of Relion Li batteries, there's very little reading on their AGM batteries.

Could I ask that someone with more brain cells than I to look over the data sheet and provide thoughts or alternatives?

https://relionbattery.com/products/r4000/rev-gc2-225

I thank you kindly.
festrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Sam's Club sells 6v Duracell AGM (GC2) batteries for less;

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...prod3870119.ip
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #3

The Relion batteries you listed seem like a good battery. They listed a 600 cycle life@80% discharge an 1200 cycles @ 50%

The Sams Club AGMs may be cheaper but your giving up 35 AH of capacity and they dont list cycle life.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #4

I've compared spec sheet of several 6v AGM batteries with the same approximate amps, all at 50% DOD. Trojan (1700), Fullriver (1300), Relion (1200), Lifeline & Crown (1000), Deka even lower at about 800 cycles. While it's probably not the only stat I should be focusing on, it surprises me that those most recommended tend to have shorter lifecycles. What I've learned from it is that AGM maintenance free claim must be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:07 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Lifeline AGMs are the gold standard for the boating,
aircraft, and RV industry. Developed for the military,
they are superior to any other AGM, and they cost
more. You should be able to find 6V Lifeline GPL-4CT
around $300.00 each, at many battery specialty shops.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #6

I've seen several recommendations for Lifeline and I now wonder why with their low published life cycle. I'm looking at either Trojan or Relion, whichever I can buy locally without paying freight charges.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #7

Marketing, Lifeline does it better.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Comparing cycle life across one battery manufacturers line of batteries is fine but for all the differences in the way each manufacturer tests its batteries comparing life cycles across various brands is a crap shoot at best.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #9

So it's a waste of time choosing a manufacturer based on how specs compare? Then how does anyone select what's right for them?
Old 03-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #10

In my opinion ?
One can way over think this battery issue.
Over the years I have purchased and maintained many batteries.
I can say the best service I got was from 8 trojan 6v batteries.
Second
Comercial or industrial grade series 31 from NAPA.

I buy from where I get the best service
Best waranty
Best convenience.

I look at the weight of the batteries also. The heaviest is best in my opinion only.

Keep it simple.
You maintaining your batteries after installing them is much more critical than spending weeks fretting over choise.
80 to 90 percent of rv and boating electrical issues starts with a lack of battery maintenance.
Reading this forum is a good representation.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
In my opinion ?
One can way over think this battery issue.
Over the years I have purchased and maintained many batteries.
I can say the best service I got was from 8 trojan 6v batteries.
Second
Comercial or industrial grade series 31 from NAPA.

I buy from where I get the best service
Best waranty
Best convenience.

I look at the weight of the batteries also. The heaviest is best in my opinion only.

Keep it simple.
You maintaining your batteries after installing them is much more critical than spending weeks fretting over choise.
80 to 90 percent of rv and boating electrical issues starts with a lack of battery maintenance.
Reading this forum is a good representation.
I agree with the positive comments on Lifeline batteries. They are the gold standard. In my boat in the tropics which has 9 Lifeline batteries , they're working on year 9 currently. Probably going to have to be replaced next year or two. We use them with huge 2500 Watt inverter draws. We abused them. Don't get too hung up on manufacturers advertising lies. Experience is what counts. One other positive thing (pun intended) about the lifeline batteries is they can take any charge you can throw at them with no damage. Virtually all cruising sailboats that can afford it put Lifeline batteries and their boats. Of course I put it in my motorhome also, but only four of them. No weight issues on boats..[emoji3]
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:49 AM   #12

One issue influencing "overthinking" is that I cannot get Lifeline, Trojan or any other preferred battery pair delivered or picked up within 100 miles for less than $700, and at that point it starts making sense to look at lithium batteries. I could go the other way and get a pair of b-list Universal UB121100 for $400, but then I'd always wonder.

Conundrums.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:34 AM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
I agree with twinboat - the specs on the Relion battery look really good. I'd buy them based on the specs.

The charging setup in your van is not the best. There's likely a diode type isolator under the hood causing at least 1/2 volt drop when charging off the engine and the new PD converter you're going to install lacks temperature compensation so it will be less than perfect care. For that reason, I wouldn't buy the most expensive batteries.

Forget the UB121100 battery. It must be a standby type battery as I read the following: "this battery should not be discharged beyond a 40% depth of discharge (DOD)" - https://www.solar-electric.com/upg-u...e-battery.html

Check the wiring from the existing converter/charger to the batteries. Some vans back then only used 8 AWG wire. With a 45A charger you probably want 6 AWG minimum depending on length of wire run.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV2traveler View Post
I agree with twinboat - the specs on the Relion battery look really good. I'd buy them based on the specs.

The charging setup in your van is not the best. There's likely a diode type isolator under the hood causing at least 1/2 volt drop when charging off the engine and the new PD converter you're going to install lacks temperature compensation so it will be less than perfect care. For that reason, I wouldn't buy the most expensive batteries.

Forget the UB121100 battery. It must be a standby type battery as I read the following: "this battery should not be discharged beyond a 40% depth of discharge (DOD)" - https://www.solar-electric.com/upg-u...e-battery.html

Check the wiring from the existing converter/charger to the batteries. Some vans back then only used 8 AWG wire. With a 45A charger you probably want 6 AWG minimum depending on length of wire run.
Thank you for this advice. Any new battery install will come with new wiring, the batteries will be relocated just on the other side of some plywood from the converter.

I'd read the same on the Universal, and why a pair makes more economical sense (with better management discipline - and a Trimetic). Most batteries in this class have similar DOD limitations and none (save possibly lithium) free us from proactive monitoring & power management. Seems to me it's now a matter of how much $ can be justified to manage it a bit less. But then I'm new to this and still learning.

I really like the Relion but I can't even get it. I've found 2v & lithium online only, and no distributor within 300 miles that sells their AGM.

Tags
batteries, advice