Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #1

AGM vs Lead Acid batteries with my current converter

I would like to upgrade the batteries in the RV, but I don't know what converter charger came with it. Therefore, if I get AGM batteries, are we going to be destroying them by not charging them properly? We'll also be putting in solar soon with a good-quality MPPT charge controller, but the RV will be plugged in much of the time.

I guess the questions are:
  1. If I replace the batteries with AGM batteries, am I going to be ruining them by not charging them properly?
  2. Is there some hidden way for me to change the converter charger settings for AGM batteries?
  3. If I later install a solar charger that CAN be configured for AGM batteries, will that solve the incorrect charging issues?
CyrusL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #2

1. If I replace the batteries with AGM batteries, am I going to be ruining them by not charging them properly?
YES

1. Is there some hidden way for me to change the converter charger settings for AGM batteries?
NO

1. If I later install a solar charger that CAN be configured for AGM batteries, will that solve the incorrect charging issues?
YES - depending on the quality of the controller

A battery system is like a chain all the links have to work together.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #3

What converter?

My Progressive Dynamics 65amp w/Charge wizard is considered the "best in the industry" (not by me....) and it boosts at 14.4V and floats at 13.2. Equalize at 14.6V. 4 stage charging.

Problem is, my Costco (Interstate) GC2's like boost to be at 15.3v and Equalize at 15.6v.

My Converter was constantly undercharging and I could tell, the voltage loss under load on the batteries was terrible. I installed Solar and configured it for the batteries preferences and life is good. Still run the converter on shore power, and the battery bank just gets charged the next day by the solar array.

So watch your voltages, but AGM aren't as needy as my Interstates...they are typically more in line with what the Progressive Dynamics will do.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The question in the subject line is AGM (Lead acid) V/s Lead Acid.

Yup. apples v/s apples.

AGM's are lead acid. Though they do like a very slightly different charge algorithm it is close enough that a converter designed to charge one.. will do fine with the other.

So what is the lure of AGM.. they may possibly have a slightly lower internal resistance. or not. Never tested that. LIFELINE can be charged faster.. IF you have a charger that can do it. There is no "This side up" sticker and they are very "low gasing".

But the big draw is PROFIT. they are very high priced and thus very high PROFIT.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #5

My thought a little different than Alloy...

No - you may shorten life but you likely won't kill them.

2. Is there some hidden way for me to change the converter charger settings for AGM batteries?

Maybe - you need to explore and find out what converter charger you have and whether it has multi setting - many these days do - if in doubt contact dealer / manufacturer to confirm then check the charger mfg website for that model.

3. If I later install a solar charger that CAN be configured for AGM batteries, will that solve the incorrect charging issues?
It might but I think the best answer is it depends on many details of the whole system. I wouldn't rely on solar correcting a problem w/ the converter charger.

I don't have much experience w/ solar so not my strong point.
Different AGMs require slightly different charging profiles but they are pretty close to a FLA. Using a FLA charger won't immediately kill an AGM but can shorten the life & decrease performance if not optimized but you may never see / tell the difference.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post

My thought a little different than Alloy...

No - you may shorten life but you likely won't kill them.

Maybe - you need to explore and find out what converter charger you have and whether it has multi setting - many these days do - if in doubt contact dealer / manufacturer to confirm then check the charger mfg website for that model.

It might but I think the best answer is it depends on many details of the whole system. I wouldn't rely on solar correcting a problem w/ the converter charger.

I don't have much experience w/ solar so not my strong point.

Different AGMs require slightly different charging profiles but they are pretty close to a FLA. Using a FLA charger won't immediately kill an AGM but can shorten the life & decrease performance if not optimized but you may never see / tell the difference.

I had a Progressive Dynamics converter to which I added the Charge Wizard. I used it about 3 years with Deka AGMs without a problem. If you have a PD series 9100 converter, you can add the Charge Wizard. If not, consider replacing with a 9200 series that has the Wizard tech built in. An 80 Amp model will run you about $275 and the AGMs can take advantage of the high amperage for fast charging.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
YES

1. Is there some hidden way for me to change the converter charger settings for AGM batteries?
NO

1. If I later install a solar charger that CAN be configured for AGM batteries, will that solve the incorrect charging issues?
YES - depending on the quality of the controller

A battery system is like a chain all the links have to work together.

I have AGM batteries. 8-house and 2-coach. My Magnum inverter charger has settings for charging different types of AGM batteries.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, converter