Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #1

Air Conditioner

Rear ac compressor will not run more than 1 minute till it cycles off. Temp set for 72 and current temp is 78. It has also tripped the electrical breaker several times.

Got any suggestions
joecpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you gone up on the roof to remove the shroud to see if the coils are clean? If it's not something simple like that, I think you'll need a service call.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #3

Sounds like a bad compressor.
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I just had to replace the blower motor on the front AC unit. It would try to start and stop then it would start. It was also louder and had a pulsing sound.

When I removed the motor I found that it was almost froze up, I could turn it but with difficulty. The motor had no lubrication points. The rubber supports were pretty much wore out letting the squirrel cage fans actually touch the metal housing.

Bought a replacement motor which cost ~$110, installed, and everything is fine. I would guess that sometimes when people may think the compressor is wore out it may be the blower motor.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

Normally tripping the breaker is a sign of a grounded compressor of a compressor that is close to failure. If the air flow across the foul is not enough for heat exchange to happen then the coil will freeze causing safety devices to kick in and shut the compressor off this actually takes a long time to happen and at no time should it cause the breaker to trip. Also the fan motor should be thermally protected so if it were to lock up the overloads should trip again not tripping the breaker. So from a guy that has been doing temperature controls for a long time I would put money on the compressor getting ready to fail. But weirder things have happened.
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the info, I do think that the compressor is going bad.
joecpayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner