Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #1

Air conditioning problems in the desert

I just made a journey from Arizona to Calif during daytime temps of 110 degrees. Ran the generator so I could run the rooftop air conditioners to supplement the dash AC. After about 4hrs, the rooftop units were blowing hot air and my dash AC was just barely cool and eventually just blew hot air also. I was dreading getting to our campground and having to find service on both AC systems. However, after parking and hooking up, the rooftops started cooling again and worked fine for a week. Then on the return home the same story as they started blowing hot air after about 4 hours in the extreme heat. Is this normal when driving through such hot temps?
2012 Itasca Meridian 40U.
Utahsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

It sounds like was is called a freeze up. The unit develops ice and stops cooling. A fairly common condition with some AC units when working continuously. When it happens, usually if it is shut down for several minutes, the ice thaws and it will cool again.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahsooner View Post
I just made a journey from Arizona to Calif during daytime temps of 110 degrees. Ran the generator so I could run the rooftop generators to supplement the dash AC. After about 4hrs, the rooftop units were blowing hot air and my dash AC was just barely cool and eventually just blew hot air also. I was dreading getting to our campground and having to find service on both AC systems. However, after parking and hooking up, the rooftops started cooling again and worked fine for a week. Then on the return home the same story as they started blowing hot air after about 4 hours in the extreme heat. Is this normal when driving through such hot temps?
Utahsooner
Air conditioners can only blow out air 15-20 degrees cooler than they're drawing in.
In 110 degree weather at highway speed a coach cabin looses a lot of cool air and gains a lot of hot air especially if the sun is shining.
Methinks you are simply expecting more from your A/C units than they can deliver.

See: https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+measure+delta+t+hvac

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #4

That does make sense especially since both systems did return to working after being shut off. Sure makes travel through hot areas difficult if AC is only good for about 4 hours. Hopefully the extreme hot was the culprit as I have never had trouble in semi hot 90ish etc. weather. The dash AC has never worked great and freightliner had to fix it right after I purchased it new. I have never had this problem in my car dash AC when driving in the high desert temps so wondered if the RV dash AC might be a lemon.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
If traveling in the desert.

Roof top air conditioner, the temperature differential from supply and return is 10 degree per 1200 to 1500 BTUs'. If high humidity, then it is lower.

Your Dash air, should produce about 46 to 55 degrees from the supply vent.

Now, if everything got to blowing hot air, then possible you had the blowers set on LOW speed, this just helps in the freeze up. Moisture - on the coils.

Next time keep blowers on HIGH.

Finally, it is possible your units are low on Freon, this will cause the same condition.
Or maybe the drain tubes are clogged.

Another option while driving keep all your windows shades down, or cut and install Reflective Insulation on the windows. Buy a roll from HD or Lowe's. Much cheaper that way.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
If traveling in the desert.

Now, if everything got to blowing hot air, then possible you had the blowers set on LOW speed, this just helps in the freeze up. Moisture - on the coils.

However desert conditions are extremely LOW humidity
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Your Dash air, should produce about 46 to 55 degrees from the supply vent..
gatorcq
Where did you hear that?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Driving thru the desert, we were very successful by putting wet (damp) towels on the dash. Adding a little humidity to the air really helped. They do dry out quickly...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #9

I would think that your newer rig would do a little better than that. i have no dash air and my rooftop unit is bearable. I always travel through the desert in the early morning hours and try to make it quickly as possible into a cooler area. I have additional fans running to keep the air moving. I precool the rv down a couple of hours before departure. Other than that it is really hot here.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #10

I guess that I expected my AC to be a "refrigerator" at any temp. Learned from you that it is not the case and I will rethink my travel through the ultra high temps. Thanks to all that responded. Again, since I only have about 20k miles and not an avid user I would think that the equipment should not be at fault "yet". But that is probably not a very bright assumption! huh??
Old 07-30-2016, 05:53 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahsooner View Post
I guess that I expected my AC to be a "refrigerator" at any temp. Learned from you that it is not the case and I will rethink my travel through the ultra high temps. Thanks to all that responded. Again, since I only have about 20k miles and not an avid user I would think that the equipment should not be at fault "yet". But that is probably not a very bright assumption! huh??

Do this test:

After the roof air has been running for about 20 minutes continuously, measure the temperature of the air being sucked into the return air duct, then take a temperature reading of the cool air blowing out the return duct. A unit running normally will produce a difference in these temperatures of 15-18 degrees F.

This test eliminates variables such as how well the rig is insulated, heat gain from sun, etc and just measures the AC's ability to transfer heat.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, ems, problems