Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #1

Air Ride System

Does anyone know what the correct psi is suppose to be? I have it @ 50 psi right now. I just purchased the coach and there was no manual on this system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air ride.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	242628  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 10:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2seniors View Post
Does anyone know what the correct psi is suppose to be? I have it @ 50 psi right now. I just purchased the coach and there was no manual on this system.
I have the same system on my Roseair. You can go up to 100 psi but I wouldn't. I maintain 60 psi in all 4 and get a real nice smooth ride. Expirament with it and you will find what works for you.

Good luck!
lnicols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #3

Air Ride System

The correct way to air up for pulling your trailer is to set it 5 psi measure the height of your trucks front wheel wells, such as mine is 39 inches from ground to center of wheel well. Hook up your trailer and measure again. If it is over 1/2 inch difference ( should be higher since trailer is squatting the rear and lifting the front) add air so the measurement is within a 1/2 inch of the "no trailer measurement". I recheck my measurement periodically since weight shifts or I add more to the bed of the truck for a longer trip.

To get another measurement, measure the trailer tongue height when unhooked and level, then after hooking up fill the air bags till the trailer tongue height is an inch or less then unhooked.

You want to tow your trailer level or up too an inch down for best towing.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #4

I am sorry, the instructions where for a travel trailer on a truck set up. For motorcoaches you need the original ride height specs and then fill till you reach the original spec height.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
The correct way to air up for pulling your trailer is to set it 5 psi measure the height of your trucks front wheel wells, such as mine is 39 inches from ground to center of wheel well. Hook up your trailer and measure again. If it is over 1/2 inch difference ( should be higher since trailer is squatting the rear and lifting the front) add air so the measurement is within a 1/2 inch of the "no trailer measurement". I recheck my measurement periodically since weight shifts or I add more to the bed of the truck for a longer trip.

To get another measurement, measure the trailer tongue height when unhooked and level, then after hooking up fill the air bags till the trailer tongue height is an inch or less then unhooked.

You want to tow your trailer level or up too an inch down for best towing.
Great advice for someone with a travel trailer but I have a Class A towing a car, Thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #6

If you look at my next comment it explains how to adjust for class A MHs. Adjust the air pressure to bring your MH back to its original wheel well height. If you 4 down tow you should not need air ride since the is no downward pressure on the ball hitch.

As a safety concern, that some don't know, is that air bags do not increase your axle weight rating.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
At our lot, most tradeins had 25 psi front and 50 to 60 psi rear. That is what I always used as a starting point when I installed airbags for a customer.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnicols View Post
I have the same system on my Roseair. You can go up to 100 psi but I wouldn't. I maintain 60 psi in all 4 and get a real nice smooth ride. Expirament with it and you will find what works for you.

Good luck!
is it the more psi the stiffer the ride ?
Thanks
Old 04-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2seniors View Post
is it the more psi the stiffer the ride ?
Thanks
No, not necessarily. You just have to try different psi settings out and see/feel what's right for you and your rig.
lnicols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air