Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #1

All batteries died/no power after cycling gen

I've been full time rving for about 2 months and am hooked to shore power. I have ran the generator several times on the road to power AC without issue.

Yesterday I started the gen to run for a couple hours since I've been using shore power only. So I unhooked shore power and started the gen, let it run with no load for about 15 min, and then turned on the ACs to put a load on it (from what I've read/understand is needed).

After a couple hours I shut down and rehooked to shore. a couple hours later I noticed the lights starting to dim, and within a couple more hours I was completely without power except for 120v outlets and ACs. I checked all the breakers and none were tripped. I reset the main breakers, tested the voltage and everything was good except no power was coming out of the inverter. I check the batteries and both house and chassis were completely dead. The gen wouldnt start, and even though I was hooked to shore I had no 12v/fridge etc.

I charged all the batteries and the gen started just fine and all systems were working.

A couple things: Thinking back, along with the 2 ACs, I also had a computer and tv monitor on, radio, and a light or 2.

Is it possible to kill the batteries during the 2 hours I ran the gen, and to kill them so dead that shore power couldn't help?

Or do I have a bad converter?

I also push the battery test button once every day or so and have had no other decrease in charge until I ran the gen.

Magnetek 7255 converter
Coach is 1994 Coachmen Destiny 38
Gen is 7500 watt Cummins Onan
Chassis batteries manufactured 8/14
House batteries manufactured 8/17

I am currently topping off the batts with a charger, and will find out in the morning if they are dead again.

Thanks for any input, and I apologize if I missed this issue elsewhere on the forum.
cb
coastalsqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a BIRD or IRD System? I'm wondering if your chassis Batts are normally charged when on Shore or Gen power. My rig is only IRD so I've got an Echo Charger to keep my chassis Batts charged when on Shore/Gen power.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sounds like the Magnatek converter is not putting out any power. Disconnect the output terminals and check the voltage. If you have voltage, check for a blown fuse.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #4

Converter Testing

https://youtu.be/l2KHsgxwFXc
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #5

broadrun, I will have to check tomorrow and see. I'm not sure on that one.

KCFDCapt If it happens again I will check deeper into the converter. I removed it today, but it doesn't have a easy access to the inside to check for fuses, so I have to remove the whole unit. I tested the output voltage today and there was nothing. Also the fan never turned on. I checked on a replacement just in case and was recommended the Boondock 1260c. Only $150 so may be worth it to replace anyway.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #6

Also, is it possible running the gen somhow fried the converter, or is it just a coincidence it would happen at the same time? And if so, what could cause that so I can avoid issues in the future?

Tags
batteries, power