Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
all batteries drain when disconnected

I have a Fleetwood 08 Discovery and the chassis AND coach batteries have a big enough load that it causes a drain when both of the disconnect switches are turned off. All 6 of the batteries (2 chassis, 4 coach) are new so they are not the problem. I have also verified that both sets charge via alternator, generator and pwr cord. Does anyone know where I can get the BCC manual from RV custom products? Any ideas what might be the issue?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Call FW. 800-322-8216

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #3

Obviously depends on the wiring layout, but there are usually items which are not powered through the power cutout relays. Propane alarms and associated propane solenoid valves, engine and transmission computer management, radio memories, some battery chargers etc etc.

Usually requires physically disconnecting the battery leads at the terminals and using a multimeter to track down the phantom loads.

How long does it take for the batteries to lose most of their charge??? Both sets of batteries going down equally fast??
Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I realize that some things stay powered up with switches off but I had a Bounder for 10+ years and never had an issue and from the others posts neither do they. The chassis battery drains quicker at about a tenth of a volt per day and the coach batteries about .06v -.07v per day.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #5

I had a 96 P30 chassis that had something draining the batt. After a month had to hit the Aux switch to start the engine. First thing I tried was putting a switch in the fridge 12V line. Bingo!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #6

I just had a 2013 Providence (all electric) in with similar problems, and a few other problems that created the whole mess. The customer complained of BOTH sets of batteries (coach and chassis) going flat while plugged in or on generator after a day or so thus unable to start the engine. When I got my hands on it, running thru the ME-MR remote panel, I found that the Magnum Inverter/Converter was set to only charge at 10% of the rated capacity of the batteries, default program is 80%. More troubling was why the two sets of batteries were always staying tied together. I checked the battery boost circuit from the switch all the way back to where it plugs into the 12V control center from RV Custom Products - all good. I was able to charge up the house and coach batteries then load shed the coach batteries all the way to 12.0 volts and each and every time it would take the chassis batteries with it - never disconnecting. It's supposed to disconnect the sets at or near 12.4 volts automatically. I checked to make sure the solenoid contacts weren't welded together, I could pull the solenoid power wire and hear it drop out, I could pull the 2 wire connector from the PC board to the solenoid and hear the solenoid drop. Obviously a problem here.

I called RV Custom products and discussed the tests I had done. They ended up sending me a new control board under warranty. Now when I load shed the coach batteries it is disconnecting the coach and chassis battery sets just as they pass below 12.5 volts.

As Tony Lee mentions above, throwing the disconnects doesn't completely isolate the batteries - that entire 12v power center from RV Custom products is still 100% hot with disconnects thrown.

Do you have the Magnum Inv/Conv? Do you have the ME-MR remote panel? If so, scroll thru the menu and see what software/hardware revision your ME-MR panel has. There are intermittent charging issues (never completing a charge) with those prior to version 1.0 and Magnum will help you out with a replacement.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #7

my issue was the battery disconnect cutoff relay was bad. Turned the battery cut offs to disconnect but was not disconnecting. Did not hear that thump" when engaging the disconnect switch. If you can't hear it disconnect, it's not and the full load remains on the batteries.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
94 Newmar, thanks for the info. I do have a Magnum Inv/Conv and the ME-MR remote panel so I can check sw/hw levels (next time I get to the coach) but the batteries are fulling charging (per ME-MR remote, generator panel and coach bat test). I understand that there disconnects are not 100% disconnects but I should not lose 0.1v per day. I believe that the draw can be up to .5amps. I also need to remeasure this again to be sure (I am using a clamp meter to measure current).
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Did not hear that thump" when engaging the disconnect switch. If you can't hear it disconnect, it's not and the full load remains on the batteries.
If you are referring to the disconnect near the batteries there is no solenoid to go thump at least not with our coach. I turn the knob and it quietly disconnects. Just like when you pull a battery cable of its post no thump. I believe the house disconnect inside the coach goes thump via a solenoid.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries drain