Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Give them a call and leave a message. They are good at getting back to you and you can see when he has times.
Phone: 260-768-4067
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #16

Late to the thread so hopefully the OP is done by now. I replaced the 1200 cooling unit with a Pines RV Helium unit sold through David Force. I had two friends help pull it onto a prebuilt platform the sale height as the installed height. It came out reasonably fast, but we took our time removing the old unit and installing the new one. Once in and sealed, they left me to my apparently painfully slow and perfectly methodical rewire and neatening up of the wiring. I also installed an ARP at the same time, replaced the fans with IP55 rated quieter fans, etc. they came back 2 days later to reinstall. If you're not as anal as I'm accused of being then I would say 5 medium slow hours start to finish, including lunch.

So far this Helium is great. It is WAY better built than the factory, which is amazing they they haven't learned anything. It cools faster, stays colder in hotter external temps, and it's juice won't burn. I still say if Norcold haven't been such knuckleheads about their design and Helium was around as a refrigerant 15 years ago, there would be no such thing as a residential fridge in an RV

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
SCVJeff,
Glad to hear you are happy with it. Ours has been great since the replacement. You are right that its too bad Norcold and Dometic haven't gotten their acts together.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:36 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Late to the thread so hopefully the OP is done by now. I replaced the 1200 cooling unit with a Pines RV Helium unit sold through David Force. I had two friends help pull it onto a prebuilt platform the sale height as the installed height. It came out reasonably fast, but we took our time removing the old unit and installing the new one. Once in and sealed, they left me to my apparently painfully slow and perfectly methodical rewire and neatening up of the wiring. I also installed an ARP at the same time, replaced the fans with IP55 rated quieter fans, etc. they came back 2 days later to reinstall. If you're not as anal as I'm accused of being then I would say 5 medium slow hours start to finish, including lunch.

So far this Helium is great. It is WAY better built than the factory, which is amazing they they haven't learned anything. It cools faster, stays colder in hotter external temps, and it's juice won't burn. I still say if Norcold haven't been such knuckleheads about their design and Helium was around as a refrigerant 15 years ago, there would be no such thing as a residential fridge in an RV

Why did you feel the arp system was necessary since the helium will not burn?
Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lopez View Post
Why did you feel the arp system was necessary since the helium will not burn?

Tom, I just talked with Junior at JC Refrigeration who manufacturers the unit about your question. He says that even though there is no fire danger with the helium-filled units, you still need the ARP to prevent the cooling unit from being damaged from overheating if the RV is bad out of level!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #20

What Joe said..

As I mentioned in the other thread where you asked this question, the ARP was never designed to be a failsafe for these fridges and they repeat that over and over again for obvious legal reasons. This thing started life according to them because they were wiping out their own refridgators when parking in unlevel areas. How sensitive Helium is to parking unlevel I have no idea, but I got this to protect the fridge from its owner and to have secondary fan control of aux fans when the primary fans cannot keep up, as well as the temp display.

The ARP controls the fans shown in the picture. I turn them at 50% max speed so they are completely dead silent and draw very little current, moving a lot of air. Drawing air OUT is way better than trying to force air IN from the bottom

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #21

In August 2012, had the cooling unit in our 1200LRIM replaced with an Amish unit while in Birch Bay WA by a mobile technician who charged $375. Of course I helped him get it in and out of the enclosure. Gave him $400 for his service which I thought was well worth it.

The cooling unit cost was $1,090.00 which included shipping to Birch Bay. New unit works great...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling