Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Amish cooling unit is installed!

With the help of a good friend, I got the new 1200 Amish cooling unit installed and am testing the fridge. We turned it on yesterday afternoon to test it before putting it back into it's final resting place. I did a temporary hookup of the 12VDC wires and AC and set the temp on "7" for the test. This morning the temp in the refrigerator compartment was "28" degrees and the freezer compartment was "20" degrees! I dropped it back to "4" and will check it again tommorrow.

I bought new fans and heating elements with the new cooling unit and will keep the old ones for spares.

One thing I did differently was that instead of using the air baffle that is available from David Force I cut a 24"x36" piece of sheet metal, covered one side with a piece of "Reflectix" from Lowes to prevent vibrations, and secured it with cable ties to the upper coils and the vertical side brackets on the bottom, with the Reflectix side against the unit. It extends from just above the condenser fins on top to the coils below the fans on the bottom. I could not mount the fans to the coils like on the old unit, but used half of the original mounting brackets and screwed them to the bottom edge of the metal cover plate on the back just above the coils. The plate seems to be some kind of access cover but it worked out great. One caution! I picked up a piece of sheet metal at Lowes and didn't look at the price until I got home. I just about flipped out! They had charged me almost $20.00 for the 2x3 foot piece of metal! I went to an air conditioning dealer and bought it for $6.00. Lowes will get that puppy back!

I had one minor problem. When I got the fans and thermostat hooked up they were coming on about every 10 seconds, running about 3 seconds, then repeating. I replace the new thermostat with the original thermostat off the old unit and that solved the problem. David is sending me a replacement. No big deal.

I also totally lined all three wall of the enclosure with Reflectix. The ceiling already had the thick padding like the rest of the coach so I left it alone. Probably un-necessary but I had the Reflectix left.

Well, I guess we'll put the unit back in place tommorrow and try it on LP to be sure it works that way too. Now we won't be afraid to sleep in our new MH for the first time!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good job Joe should be allot happier with your rebuild and no more sleepless nights.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nice job Joe. I did the same Cooling Unit replacement about a year ago now and my Norcold 1200 is running great, Temperature setting at # 5 the freezer sits at 0 degrees and inside refrigerator is 32 degrees with outside temperatures in the low 80's. I only wish I would have installed the air baffel but didn't know at the time.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #4

Congratulations Joe, sounds like you did a nice job!
As you may know, we installed our unit nearly a month ago and have been very happy with it.
On the fan switch/thermostat... strange, you aren't the first I seen post this. We to installed the new one, ours runs much shorter time than the OEM but not On/OFF like yours. We figured it's was because of the better cooling design, high volume fans, condenser baffle, etc. Fridge is staying nice and COLD in 90 degree (lately) weather traveling in southern AZ, so I guess it's fine the way ours is!

Robert & Shelly
2000 American Dream
Our Norcold to Amish Built Cooling Unit Change-out
RobertShelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been waiting Joe to see how you did, saw your posting that it was shipped. Very good, I'm sure you'll be happy. I ordered mine four days ago [same as yours] and it arrived yesterday. I'll have it in this week-end. Just that fire danger made my mind up, as well as having two recall failures. Glad to see your happy. We'll sleep good at night as well. Safe and trouble free travels
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling