Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Amish Cooling Unit - Who has one?

I know this issue has been beaten to death but here goes...
We are considering changing the Norcold 1200 cooling unit for the Amish Unit.
I have seen many threads about how to do it, where to buy it, etc. I have also seen all the threads about going residential.

I want to know, who has the Amish cooling unit in their coach, how long have you had it, and Do you like it?

Thanks everyone.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #2

We dry camp a bit and we are VERY happy with ours. We've had it for a year and a half. We also installed it ourself. Wev also have a friend with one and they are also very happy, he payed $400 for the install. Both of us bought from the Cooling unit Whse. in Memphis. Dave Force was very helpful with the install. I don't advise the self install to everyone but I would do it again.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I installed the Amish unit on my refer a year and a half ago. So far, so good. No complaints at all. I will second the previous post about installation. Not for the faint of heart, physically weak or instructional or mechanically challenged to undertake. But, if you're at all mechanically inclined. you should be able to do it. Just be sure to make notes about what goes where (wiring especially) before starting and maybe even take some photos for backup. Also, our unit didn't fit exactly as the old one did and it required a little ingenuity to make everything line up and bolt up correctly. And, don't make the mistake of attempting to install the unit yourself and then get discouraged and call in a professional. Most professionals won't touch it after you have started. So, make up your mind to do it yourself COMPLETELY, or hire a professional right up front.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #4

We replaced ours August of this year and it works great, highly recommend the unit.

We ordered ours from the Cooling Unit Warehouse: 1200LR Norcold Brand-New Cooling Unit, built by the Amish. - RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

We were in Birch Bay, WA when ours failed. We had the new unit delivered to a freight terminal in Bellingham, WA. Delivered cost was $1,090, with installation cost of $400. We had a mobile RV technician come to our site and do the install.

The new Amish unit doesn't require the high-temp power cut-off module used in the norcold safety recalls.

If you get one, be sure to get qualified technician thoroughly knowledgeable on the proper installation of the unit. If not properly installed and sealed some cooling efficiency could be diminisned.

Good luck

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought our Monaco earlier this year, that is the first thing we did to it, even though th Norcold 1200LRIM was working fine. I could not sleep in the coach knowing the fridge could catch fire at any time. It didn't make sense to me to go all the expense of buying a residential fridge when the Amish cooling units were available and had an excellent reputation for quality and performance. Good luck & God bless!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #6

We installed one in our Norcold 1200 LRIM after the original cooling unit failed. The Amish unit is far superior IMHO to the Norcold. We used to run the Norcold on setting 7 to get the freezer to make ice and keep ice cream not melted. With the Amish unit we keep the same control board on setting 3 and the ice cream is rock hard cold. We also didn't need the Norcold recall heat sensor because the Amish unit runs quite a bit cooler.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the Amish unit. I installed it myself last year. Doesn't seem to be any better (or worse) than the stock Dometic unit though.
Last month the heating element went out, have a new one, just haven't installed it yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
We installed one in our Norcold 1200 LRIM after the original cooling unit failed. The Amish unit is far superior IMHO to the Norcold. We used to run the Norcold on setting 7 to get the freezer to make ice and keep ice cream not melted. With the Amish unit we keep the same control board on setting 3 and the ice cream is rock hard cold. We also didn't need the Norcold recall heat sensor because the Amish unit runs quite a bit cooler.
You don't need the recall sensor because the Amish tubing is thicker and better quality, not because it runs cooler.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #9

About 18 months ago. Added extra pancake fans, that I can switch on if in real hot weather. Like the performance, pleased so far.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Have you considered a residential fridge like the Samsung RF197?

For about the same money you can have a larger, lighter refrigerator.

We chose the Samsung for our new RV and have been very pleased.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We replaced a perfectly good Norcold unit with the Amish almost a year ago. The fire hazard scared us that much.
DW and I did the entire install. Keep in mind that the frig weighs 220 lbs so door (s) removal is probably going to be required.
We took our time and used an add'l 100 nylon ties and 75' of 4" wide aluminum tape. It now looks like a professional aviation installation rather than the hodge-podge that Norcold had.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #12

When we (DW and I) replaced ours we also installed 5 computer fans in the roof opening with a rocker switch, this helps more than I can express.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
We were in Birch Bay, WA when ours failed. We had the new unit delivered to a freight terminal in Bellingham, WA. Delivered cost was $1,090, with installation cost of $400. We had a mobile RV technician come to our site and do the install.
Would you please share who did your install? We live a bit north of Seattle and I'd like a referral for someone in the general area.

Thanks!
Scott
scooter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter21 View Post
Would you please share who did your install? We live a bit north of Seattle and I'd like a referral for someone in the general area.

Thanks!
Scott

Glad to share Scott, I used Andy's Mobile Repair Service, here's a link to his website:

http:/https://plus.google.com/110964...t?gl=us&hl=en/

Andy has a son also named Andy working with him but it Was Andy Sr. who came to our coach and did the repair.

I helped him wrestle the refrigerator out of the enclosure and prone it out face down on our livingroom floor where he did the cooling unit change out. I was very impressed with his knowledge & skill during the process.

I have a couple of phone #'s one is his cell, but not sure which--360 592-2740 & 360 303-4781.

I ordered the new cooling unit from Dave Force with the Cooling Unit Warehouse in TN, however, the new unit was shipped from Pines RV Refrigeration, Shipshewana, IN where they're manufactured.

If you happen to have Andy do the job, if you don't mind, let me know how it went for you.

Best of luck

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling