Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Another Onan question

After reading a bunch of posts here I can't seem to find the answer to my problem.

It's a 5.5 KW in a 2001 Damon. When I run the generator til it's warm all is fine until I turn on one of the two AC's. within a short time the motor dies. It bucks and snorts(love that term) in it's dying gasp. I replaced the fuel filters and ran the fuel line into a large bottle and filled it full.

I don't think it's the pump. Maybe I'm wrong.

I check the oil level and it's full. Not that problem.

Anyone want to hazard a guess on just how miserable it was going thru Vegas a couple of weeks ago when it was a 120 in the shade and no trees???

Anyone want to jump in and rescue me?

Don
Cactusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #2

If your generator is a BGM or NHM I have a PDF of the service manual. My first thought (I'm no expert) would be the governor linkage. It might just need to be cleaned.
Johnp292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:00 PM   #3

On the frame of the generator it says: 5.5 HGJAC-1264A.

I don't see BGM or NHM anywhere.

Don
Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Here's a link the the service manual. It does have a pretty good troubleshooting section, but it mostly deals with fault codes. Good Luck!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #5

Thanks! I have a man coming over tonight to check things out. He works for a RV repair center. I let everyone know when it's over.

Don
Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusman View Post
Thanks! I have a man coming over tonight to check things out. He works for a RV repair center. I let everyone know when it's over.

Don
going thru the same situation myself, Onan dealer says its low compression both cylinders. however before I took it to Onan I replaced fuel filter fuel pump, spark plugs and carbuerator, and ran seafoam thru it. Good Luck post what you find.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #7

I doubt this will help you at all, BUT, maybe there are those as ignorant on operating a Onan as myself.

A buddy of mine with experience on the operation of the Onan came over this morning and asked me to fire it up. I pushed on the button to feed it some gas and hit the starter. Nothing but cranking. He asked if I waited until the fuel pump quit running before trying to start? Uh, no.

Hold the primer down until the pump quits dummy! I did. Now hit the started he says and I did. Bam! Fires right off

Should I go start the AC's I ask, he says NO! Wait until it warms up for about 5 minutes. We visit for a period of time and I'm getting antsy. He says go fire one up and lets see what happens. The Onan kept running as well as the AC. Fire off the second one he says and I do and dang! The thing is still running!!!

It seems that you have to let the thing warm up a bit before firing off anything or it will die! DUH!!!!!

Now we're styling! All is well with the generator except for one small detail. Are you ready for it? Better be seated!

I have no cover for my generator! The idiot that owned it before me removed it and it(the generator) has no way to stay cool the way it's suppose to.

Now I have to find a cover, sigh sigh

Don
Old 08-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #8

Just a update on my continuing saga with my 2001 Day Break with a 5500 Onan.

A repair guy was "suppose" to come out and look at the generator. Then another guy says, "bring it by and I'll take a look at it".

Well the first guy never showed or called so I gave up on him. The second guy is so busy he doesn't have time right now so I went on line and bought a new pump and filters on a hunch that's what the problem was all along.

Low and behold it can be done by a old guy and his older friend! The generator fired off and ran for four hours without a hickup! The cost was about $50.00 for parts and I work cheap!

One more little detail with the fridge and replace a burned out speaker and I should be ready to hit the road anytime I/we want.

Thanks to all that responded and planted ideas in my head!

C-man

Tags
onan