Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #1

Anybody rewire A/Cs for extension-cord power?

I have two Duotherm 630035.321 13,500 btu air conditioners that draw 20 amps each. I'd like to cut into the house-current-supply line so that I can either install a 3-prong plug or an appropriate switch for the purpose of powering the A/C directly from the 120 volt, 20-amp socket via a construction-grade cord capable of handling the current. The reason: it gets really hot down here in Texas summers, especially in the blazing sun, and with two A/Cs running, there is little power for anything else. Because the places we stay have 50/30/20 typically, we could run one or both A/Cs independent of the house 50-amp power--cooling us (and the cat!) with no worries about blowing breakers, as we'd be able to access the entire 100 available amps, 20 amps going to each of two A/Cs from the 20- and 30-amp outlets, leaving 50 for the house. Has anybody done this? Recommended switch or plugs?
Doug Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #2

50amp RV power is already 100amps of available power, it's a double pole 50a breaker with two 50amp hot lines coming into your coach. Your coach already separates the two air conditioners on separate 'sides', each with 50amps of power.

You should already have plenty of amps within your coach because it's built to make use of all 100amps already.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #3

also, your 13.5k ac units won't draw 20 amps, though they might be on 20amp breakers, but about 12-13 or so when they first start the compressor, then less while running.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #4

First of all, the 13.5K ACs will draw less than 15 amps each when running. So that gives you 70 amps at 120 VAC. What else could you possibly be running that would push that envelope?
15 Amps for HW heater
15 Amps for Microwave
7.5 Amps for Converter charging at 75 Amps DC
Still have over 40 amps available.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #5

like many new to larger RVs, the ‘50amp RV power outlet’ can sometimes be assumed as only 50amps, 20 more than a 30amp outlet, but it’s different - 70 more.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Simpson View Post
I have two Duotherm 630035.321 13,500 btu air conditioners that draw 20 amps each. I'd like to cut into the house-current-supply line so that I can either install a 3-prong plug or an appropriate switch for the purpose of powering the A/C directly from the 120 volt, 20-amp socket via a construction-grade cord capable of handling the current. The reason: it gets really hot down here in Texas summers, especially in the blazing sun, and with two A/Cs running, there is little power for anything else. Because the places we stay have 50/30/20 typically, we could run one or both A/Cs independent of the house 50-amp power--cooling us (and the cat!) with no worries about blowing breakers, as we'd be able to access the entire 100 available amps, 20 amps going to each of two A/Cs from the 20- and 30-amp outlets, leaving 50 for the house. Has anybody done this? Recommended switch or plugs?
I re-read your post. You have a major misconception: An RV 50 amp connection is 50 amps at 240 VAC or 100 amps at 120 VAC so you 2 ACs only consume less than 1/3 of the available capacity from your 50 Amp connection.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:50 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The respondents above have adequately explained how your electrical system actually works. No need to repeat.

To answer your question, I have cut a plug and receptacle into the circuit line for my rear A/C, but not for your cited reason.
I made the modification almost 5 years ago to enable us to run both A/C units while staying in hot weather at an older State Park or CG that only had 30A service. As it turns out, in 5 years I’ve only had to use it 2-3 times.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:37 AM   #8

I have done what you are asking but it is on a 30 amp coach to take advantage of a 50 amp pedestal. When I plug the 15 amp plug into my 50 amp dog-bone, the A/C on this cord switches over to the other phase and splits the two A/C's load.

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:59 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
30 amp coach owners that add a post sale second A/C will usually wire the power with a separate 15 amp shore power cord that is independent of the primary. Two A/C's, even 13.5K BTU, can push the limits of a 30 amp supply. With a 50 amp configuration there's more than enough power available, even if you want to add a third A/C to the coach.

When I'm forced to drop to 30 amp shore power and single A/C operations I'll start to configure the coach for more efficient use of the single unit. I'll close off the bedroom, cover the windshield and side windows with direct sun with reflective insulation and limit the air flow to the area of the coach we are using. If I know tomorrow is going to be hot I'll set the temp very low and run the A/C overnight to get the temp down into the 60's in the coach which gives me a head start on the high temps of the day. Have yet to stay at a campsite with less than 30 amp service other than boondocking.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I frequently approach 50 amps on one side or the other and sometimes both.

Running three 15K BTU A/C units, Aquahot has 4000 watts of elements, dryer, microwave, instahot, refrigerator etc., it is a power hog.

There are times it would be convenient to have a separate source for A/C, especially if I'm working on the electrical system and have to shut power off.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #11

Thanks to all who have replied. The empirical evidence giving rise to my post is a popped breaker on the inverter box that occurs when the two A/Cs power up at the same time, as during their normal cycling. This popped breaker occurred last summer even when our fridge was not drawing power. No other power draws of significance. Our 120 volt component of our water heater is dead; we use propane pending that repair. The lcd TV is about 4.5 amps. We leave microwave unplugged. Sometimes we want both units to function when at 30-amp sites. We also pop the same breaker during the winter when we use more than one space heater (1500 watts, 12.5 amps) via 50-amp shore power. We have thus taken to powering two space heaters via extension cords, which works great. What we are intending is the cooling equivalent. The in-house breakers never pop; only the breakers on the inverter. Perhaps we have an inverter-breaker issue? Magnum Energy 2000-watt inverter, ME2012. No, we are not inverting to get power to the A/C units. Thanks! Doug
Doug Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #12

we have the same inverter, but never an issue while running both ac units and everything else, as you know, the ac units don't run thru the inverter anyway...

I would think that maybe you have another issue that makes the inverter breaker trip(you are referring to the breaker on the inverter, right?). There are also the breaker(s) in the main panel for the Inverter, as well.
Is it possible that you just happen to be overloading the inverter? Hard to imagine tho, if you are just passing thru Shore Power.

even if the Inverter was tripped, or you just turned it off, it should not be effecting anything else, since everything is running on 120v Shore Power or 12v power thru the Converter.

or, if you're not the original owner, is it possible someone took some liberties with wiring? hmmm. who knows.

Tags
power