Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Anyone know what this part does in my Norcold 4-door fridge

Does anyone know what this part does and if I need it in my Norcold 4-door fridge? It assists to be connected to some some of thermocouple in the fridge heating tube.

We had very heavy rain this morning and the fridge stopped working. I went out to troubleshoot and noticed the red light was on in this device and the box appears to be wet (not unlikely that rain came in through the fridge vent) When I cut and restored the 12v power the fridge would turn on again but after a few seconds, this red light would go on again and the fridge would power of again. I just removed this from the loop (basically 12v would come into this and then go to the 12v of the fridge confirm board) but I Sunday of I should try to get this back in the system.

Picture to come ...
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #2

What you’re describing sounds like the over temp sensor that norcold clips to the tubing. It can short out if it gets wet. You can bypass it and bring it inside to dry out. I have replaced mine with a better aftermarket sensor, who’s name escapes me at the moment.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #3

Withyout seeing it, it sounds like the recall Norcold had. I had mine bypasssed before changing out. Dont know if I would run it long without. I think it senses too hot condition and shuts down, Someone with more knowledge may jump in here
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
That sounds like what it could be. Working on uploading the picture (which is taking a lot longer than I thought!)
Old 10-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #5

It is the Safety Device that Norcold was REQUIRED to install on several models/over span of production years.

A HIGH-HIGH temp Sensor is installed on the boiler section of cooling unit.
Recall Box (enclosed Circuit Board) has 12VDC + supply to it and then goes to the Fridge Circuit Board provided the Sensor is NOT Tripped (trips at 800*F-----OVERHEATING Condition)
If tripped it shutsdown DC to fridge circuit board so ALL heating sources are de-energized.

RED Wire.........12VDC + Supply voltage IN (from Fused Source---to Recall Box)
BLUE Wire........12VDC + Voltage OUT (From Recall Box to Fridge Circuit Board)
GREEN Wire......Ground
Brown Sheated Cable......Red & Yellow Wires.......to/from sensor on boiler section

Recall Box RED LED Light comes on when tripped
Tripping can be from sensor opening (LEAK in Cooling Unit!!!!)
Tripping can be from faulty Recall Box circuit Board
Tripping can be from Recall Box circuit board getting wet (rig washing, heavy wind blown rain etc)

Recall Box RED LED Flashing
Slow Flash.....Low DC Supply
Fast Flash.....Loss of sensor communication to Recall Box

Recall Box can be 'reset' by using a Strong Magnet
Place magnet on face of Recall Box near top
Slowly move magnet back/forth....listen for CLICK and RED LED going out

Recall Box getting wet........
Tilt the Box DOWNWARD
It is just clipped to one of the absorber tubes out of convenient place to install
So tilt it down ----open slot less exposed to getting wet.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you very much for all the info! Sounds like I don't need to upload my picture (which is still slowly uploading on mobile data)! That's exactly the part I mean.

I was getting a solid red LED. Hopefully it's just because it got wet! I've only owned the mh for about 6 months but I was told the fridge was nearly new.

Once it stops raining and it's dry, I'll hook it back up and see if I still get the error light. I'll also tilt it down.

Thank you again so much
Old 10-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Dry it out but as in the prior post it won’t reset without the magnet trick shown. I would Not operate the ref ridge without the device as Norcold without it can ( will) fail and will overheat and catch fire.
There are other better solutions /devices .. the ARP device, and just replacing the cooling unit entirely with a better coil unit (Amish) that doesn’t require a fail safe fire control.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #8

I've got mine wet and had to use the magnet trick, only I had to place the magnet at the top of the right side to get it to reset.
Even when installing a Fridge Defend/ARP unit, the instructions state to leave the Norcold recall box installed in series with the ARP unit, for legal reasons.

FWIW, That Norcold recall box function was incorporated into the electronics on new models, so it is still there. Norcold did nothing to change their cooling unit design; one member here wrote to Norcold about any cooling unit changes, that was the reply he received.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I just wanted to thank you all again.

I let the box dry, replugged it in, reset the LED (once I found a strong enough magnet) and now it seems to work fine. I also adjusted the position so that it's facing down instead of sideways.

Thank you all again for taking the time to help me.
Mike
Old 10-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #10

Thanks for posting update!

COLD beverages GOOD.......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, fridge, norcold