Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #1

Anyone know where to start with something like this?

So awhile back I bought this mil spec G30 that came installed with this non-functional 12v air conditioner pre-installed.

It's a product produced by a company called Frigette, which of course is no longer in existence.

However, parts for this cooler seem to be readily availiable via military surplus and not terribly expensive. So what I'm asking is do you think it's worth trying to salvage this thing? Where would I even begin to look for someone who would be able to make an assessment on this thing if it's salvageable or not? I don't even know if it runs on 134-A.

The top side looks to be a very simple unit with nothing more than a radiator and two fans. The motors of the fans could be replaced fairly cheaply so the outside split I'm not worried about.

The inside part I know nothing about. There seem to be some things missing to my mind. I don't see a pump or drier or any of the other fixings that should go along with an AC. Unless it's all tucked away inside the blower housing inside the van.

Do you think this project is too ambitious? It would be cool to have a split AC in the van... but if it's going to take the majority of my life force to get it working I can move on to something else...
KingArthur16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #2

Did you look on the engine for a compressor or brackets where one used to be.

That kind if split system is popular on construction equipment with aftermarket AC.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

Correct you are. The compressor is attached to the engine and has been bypassed with an idler. Not sure if it turns freely; looks like an electric-clutch style compressor. I suppose I could just grab it with a pipe wrench and teach it a lesson to verify if it still turns and has compression. Barring better advice of course.

Is this something that I could take on with little knowledge of vehicle HVAC? Is it possible to convert it to run on an electric compressor? I'm confused as to why it has two condensers, one in the front by the radiator and the one in the white housing on top of the box. Seems like one could convert it to just use the one on top with an electric compressor perhaps?
KingArthur16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #4

Looks like the part on the roof cools outside air to bring inside. The part in front of the rad is just like regular AC. More then likely needs a new compressor and uses R12. May be able to convert to R134 or see if you can get the drop in coolant for older Ice making machines. Or just convert to an under dash aftermarket set up and remove all that old equipment.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I wouldn't have a clue! Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote