Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

aqua hot

have a question? I have aqua-hot in a 2002 mountainaire. I have to make a trip with it and I have already drained and blown out the water system. Can I run the aqua-hot for heat without water in the system? thankx Doug
fulltimeraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #2

Yes, aqua-hot circulates its own fluid through lines to your coach heater units.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Just don't turn on the electric heating element and you will be fine.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #4

Why would it matter whether you use the diesel/propane burner to heat the aqua-hot fluid or its electric element?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #5

Commercial Member

You may use the heating system of your Aqua-Hot (both diesel and electric) with no limitations with water drained.

You do not get all of the water out of your Aqua-Hot by draining or blowing it out. If there is any water in the lines that is allowed to freeze, it will severely damage your Aqua-Hot. Only approved method is to completely fill the water system (and Aqua-Hot) with RV water line antifreeze.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Roger Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #6

thanx Roger. it is the domestic side that I am concerned with.
fulltimeraye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Berke View Post
You may use the heating system of your Aqua-Hot (both diesel and electric) with no limitations with water drained.

You do not get all of the water out of your Aqua-Hot by draining or blowing it out. If there is any water in the lines that is allowed to freeze, it will severely damage your Aqua-Hot. Only approved method is to completely fill the water system (and Aqua-Hot) with RV water line antifreeze.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Roger,
Is the heating element in the engine block heater circuit? I was thinking it was in the potable fresh water tank, similar to a electric/gas water heater.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltimeraye View Post
thanx Roger. it is the domestic side that I am concerned with.
Roger's answer covered your original question:

Quote:
But then he went on to cover another point:

Quote:

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
This second point describes the problem of draining your fresh water system, but not being able to empty the loop of fresh water that sits inside the Aqua-Hot unit. So even though the Aqua-Hot's own boiler fluid has antifreeze (it should!), that small loop of fresh water in the Aqua-Hot waiting to be heated when demanded by turning on a hot water faucet cannot be emptied by draining the fresh water system---and Roger says it cannot be emptied even by blowing out the fresh water lines.

RV Wizard: the Aqua-Hot electric heating element is in the Aqua-Hot's own boiler tank. Using it or using the diesel burner would heat the Aqua-Hot's boiler fluid, to enable "furnace" function in the coach or to enable engine preheat function. It would also keep from freezing that loop of fresh water that is captive in the unit!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #9

Commercial Member

Quote:
Is the heating element in the engine block heater circuit? I was thinking it was in the potable fresh water tank, similar to a electric/gas water heater.
The electric element is actually in the boiler coolant. That is one reason why the electric elements so seldom fail.

Diesel burner and or electric element heat the boiler coolant. Water flows through copper coil and is heated. This copper coil is what we are concerned about freezing.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Old 10-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
DKO

I do not intend to hijack the thread but I do have an aquahot question and my phone will not cooperate in starting a new thread today.

I turned on the diesel aquahot for our showers today and when the diesel burner kicked off the rest of the system did not kick off in a minute or so as it usually does.

It stayed on even after I pushed the button to turn the whole thing off. The light went out but the sound continued.

After 10 minutes or so I pushed the button on and off about three times and the sound stopped.

It won't be long and I will need to leave the system on overnight and some days for heat so I need to figure this out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

DKO
Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #11

Commercial Member

When the diesel burner in your Aqua-Hot shuts off (either it comes to temperature or you turn the diesel switch off in the coach), the motor should run for 2-3 minutes as a purge or cool down cycle.

When it gets to the end of the purge cycle, the motor should just stop. The exact time is not important. Some boxes will run a little longer.

When the motor does not stop or tries to stop (motor speed varies) it is usually the silver box that is attached to the Webasto inside of the Aqua-Hot. When it is not shutting down properly, you can put your hand on the box and feel the relays inside clicking.

If you provide the model number of your Aqua-Hot, I will post photo showing what to look for.

If the box will not shut down, you can remove, then reinstall the smaller of the two plugs from the bottom of the box. That will reset the box and force it to stop.

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Old 10-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
DKO

Thanks Mr. Berke. I will try to post the model # sometime Sunday and crawl in a have a close up look on Monday.

We turned it on again Saturday evening and it kicked off just fine at the end of the cycle.

DKO
Old 10-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #13
DKO

Operators Manual says Model #920431/432

DKO
Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #14

Commercial Member

Control box is shown in photo.

Sometimes box will become intermittent.

Unfortunately the control box is the most expensive component on the Webasto. Aqua-Hot part number is WPX-287-962. There are several online parts sources. Search for "RV Hydronic Heater Parts".

- Roger Berke -
www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Box2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	28375