Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

Aqua Hot System

Does anyone know if Aqua Hot has an additive that may help with this crappy water we get in most locations in southern Arizona. I'm sure it will scale up the coils in the AH eventually unless we use something to help de-scale.
Wayne

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Aqua Hot System

Not aware of any additive, by anyone that will prevent scale buildup in the domestic water coil. A softener upstream will remove hardness preventing scale buildup.

BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Water is not in coils but in a central container with heating coils wrapping around the container. It moves from that container via pumps to the faucets and shower in pex. That said, we certainly use a water softener (On the Go) in Vegas and you need it out West. Otherwise you get crap anywhere there is a filter, screen, or lavatory fixture.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Water is not in coils but in a central container with heating coils wrapping around the container. It moves from that container via pumps to the faucets and shower in pex. That said, we certainly use a water softener (On the Go) in Vegas and you need it out West. Otherwise you get crap anywhere there is a filter, screen, or lavatory fixture.

I am not aware of any Aquahot model that is configured the way you describe. I am only aware my Aquahot unit with a domestic heating coil immersed in the heated boiler fluid. Can you direct me to a schematic diagram that shows your configuration?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #5

I am not questioning how your unit is constructed Brian, I know mine has the coils with the domestic water immersed in the Aqua Hot fluid. That is why I asked the question about scale buildup.
Wayne
Old 03-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Aqua Hot System

Like Brian I also Don't know of any "additive" but I agree and suggest a whole house water softener and good filter system. A couple 3 hundred bucks but well worth it in the desert southwest. Really keeps down the scale build up. We use pre filter 10micron , 10,000 grain water softener then 2 more filters after... 5 micron charcoals
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiwa View Post
I am not questioning how your unit is constructed Brian, I know mine has the coils with the domestic water immersed in the Aqua Hot fluid. That is why I asked the question about scale buildup.
Wayne
Hi Wayne, my apologies, my comments were not directed at your question, rather with Dave (username DSL417) and his comments. I am not aware of a domestic hot water system that he describes with a central container with coils wrapped around the container; I was hoping to learn something new with his input.

Wayne, I have "endured" the scale buildup (no water softener for me), and "descaled" my aqua hot domestic coil with a vinegar/water mixture every year or two (we winter in SoCal). I have used adapters to attach garden hoses to AH inlet and outlet and a 5 gallon pail with vinegar/water. I circulate with a sump pump. Let me know if you wish me to elaborate and post pictures....

Brian
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The boiler fluid used by Aqua Hot contains anticorrosion chemicals. This would keep the outside of the coil clean. The inside of the domestic coil is exposed to whatever water you supply to it. So the best way to protect the coil would be to condition the water before it enters the coach. Older Aqua Hot units had the domestic coil wrapped around the outside of the boiler tank and newer units have the coil immersed in the boiler tank.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:24 PM   #9

We use the On the Go water softener unit. We purchased it two months ago after two years in Arizona. What a difference. We now get lather in the shower and notice a big decrease in scale. It can only be similarly beneficial to the internal plumbing.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:22 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
You are correct and I was incorrect WRT to the heat transfer method. The training module AH 450D used in the training session I attended had the copper coils (that carry water for heating) coiled around the outside of the boiler tank. If it passes through the boiler tank, it was not shown in the training system used in the training. Looking at the manuals, I do not think it clearly "shows" exactly how the heat transfers or pictures of the boiler tank and copper coil system. My apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

Still, the best way to avoid the corrosion would be to use softened water. JMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I am not aware of any Aquahot model that is configured the way you describe. I am only aware my Aquahot unit with a domestic heating coil immersed in the heated boiler fluid. Can you direct me to a schematic diagram that shows your configuration?

Thanks.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
You are correct and I was incorrect WRT to the heat transfer method. The training module AH 450D used in the training session I attended had the copper coils (that carry water for heating) coiled around the outside of the boiler tank. If it passes through the boiler tank, it was not shown in the training system used in the training. Looking at the manuals, I do not think it clearly "shows" exactly how the heat transfers or pictures of the boiler tank and copper coil system. My apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

Still, the best way to avoid the corrosion would be to use softened water. JMHO
No offence taken; I was curious if my knowledge was incomplete around the domestic heating coil in hydronic systems.

There is limited information/pictures on the intranet around the internals of the Aquahot/Hydrohot systems (probably to keep them private as much as possible) but here is one that I have found before Click here

The domestic coil is wrapped around the burner chamber (to maximize heat transfer rate) so it does look like it is wrapped around a "tank". The second coil off to the side in this picture is the engine preheat coil that circulates engine antifreeze. Both of these are immersed in the Aquahot/Hydrohot boiler fluid.

Brian
Attached Images