Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #1

Aqua Hot - What's the story?

Just to satisfy my curiosity I thought I'd ask what the deal is with Aqua Hot. Went to their web page, but it seemed more like pure sales fluff than info.

Basically, it looks like the system is a diesel fueled (and now propane) on demand water heating system which also will provide heat to your coach via piped water ( replacing your furnace?).

Most of what I read in the forums here talks about how the system never seems to work right and or was installed incorrectly.

So I guess my question is, how much is a typical installation (late model DP), and is the system as buggy as it seems?

I'm mainly interested in on demand hot water, don't usually use the furnace much.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #2

If all you want is an on demand water heater there are probably better options. I would imagine retrofitting a MH with AH might be expensive. However, if you want a system that provides hot water AND a reliable and quiet heating system then the AquaHot is the way to go.
Ours is trouble free and we rarely use the diesel burner as the electric side is sufficient most of the time. As far as reliability goes it's like your engine or generator, if you don't do the maintenance then expect to have problems.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post

So I guess my question is, how much is a typical installation (late model DP), and is the system as buggy as it seems?

I'm mainly interested in on demand hot water, don't usually use the furnace much.
It's installed in the coach while it's being built. Would be a major job to install one in a coach that did'nt come with one.
I've had no issues with mine, but, like the generator, I exercise all functions of it regularly .
Old 01-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

Bear with me on this since it will answer some your questions. I have a 2004 HR Imperial with Aqua Hot and the previous owner failed to winterize it properly so the copper coils inside the boiler split and so no hot water without replacing the unit. Great system just have to service it and don't let it freeze! Luckily I allowed for this when buying the coach. After bypassing the cold in and hot out for the fresh water I can still use it for heating the coach and pre-heating the engine. Now I need an alternate hot water heater! Aqua Hot does not rebuild this unit (would have been $7500 for a remanufactured one) and I can't afford a new one at $10,100.00 plus shipping and retro fit with the newer 600D unit. Looked at a new Atwood Tankless Unit Model OD-50-CW (CW means unit has cold weather option) this unit is LP gas and replaces an existing in exterior wall water heater. This one was $525.00 shipped to me. Called Atwood and several RV Dealers to get feedback on these type of heaters. Atwood says no problems just have to do as the instructions say to control temp at faucets. RV Dealers tell me owners don't like them. They are not like what everyone is used to with controlling the temp at the faucet so people get disgusted it seems. I am looking at going to a Attwood E10 or E20 110 Electric Marine model. I'm not afraid of the Tankless but I just hate to cut a hole in an exterior wall for either the LP Tankless or LP/Electric standard water heater model. An all electric water heater I can put in one of my smaller bays across from the Manabloc inlets and tie it in there. Your Coach may be a good candidate for a Tankless if you are ok with LP only and the different control of hot at the faucets. Some good reviews from some RVers but some hate the tankless systems. On the standard LP/Electric water heaters at least you have two ways to go for heating. Dealer told me today that is still what is being installed in most of the motorhomes that don't have Aqua Hot systems.
Sugarbeach42 is offline   Reply With Quote