Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

Arcticold mistake!

A year ago I had a failure of my 2000 dometic cooling unit. Both electric and gas heat sources functioned properly and there were visible sign of an ammonia leak. I ordered a replacement cooling unit from Arcticold (which took several weeks longer than quoted to receive). The unit worked for about two weeks, then failed to circulate any heat from the hot burner section. It was shipped back for testing and refund. Over the last 10 months Steve Cormier would never update me on the status of the unit, or refund. He refuses to respond to my emails.
My worst decision with my in-op dometic fridge was to order from Arcticold. My best decision was to junk my dometic and convert to a Lowes electric fridge for half the price of the POS cooling unit that I got burned on from Steve Cormier.
Modern electric refrigerators use very little power, are quiet, have far better performance and air circulation, are easily available at local HD/Lowes, and are a fraction of the price of an evaporation fridge. We also gained about 50% more freezer space, and about 25% more fridge space. The cooling components of the old evaporation fridge/freezer took up depth space, reducing food storage space, compared to the same size outer dimension election fridge. It's been a year on electric now and it's a huge upgrade for us!
powchazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The RV fridge is not an "Evaporation Fridge" it is an absorption cooling unit.

Which of course contaminates the rest of your post.

The reason for the Propane/Electric option is that when you have abundent shore power.. Electric does not burn gas and may be less expensive.
But when you have no shore power.. Gas burns very very little battery power. Even less than the new super high efficiency Compressor type refrigerator units (They draw less than 50 watts)

At one time Norcold and Dometic both had offerings in that field as well..Do not know if they both still do.. Amrican RV in California still lists the Norcold

I have a chest freezer (Engel) using that technology..Works very well
Old 06-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 2015 Bounder came from the factory with a full size residential refrigerator. Power is furnished by a 1200 watt inverter and 4 golf cart sized batteries when we are unplugged from shore power. Frig is very energy efficient, provides all of the room and features of a residential frig and is one less heat source in the rig. Have had both types, like this one the best.
lfdeluca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #4

Sorry wa8yxm, Absorption is what I meant to say. I guess I contaminated my post!
Regardless of my error, I'm still happy with my final decision to go electric. I rarely use my RV at locations with out power. I understand other may rarely be at shore power and electric may not be their best option. The fact that Steve Cormier at Arcticold refuses to respond to my emails is why I would urge anyone to avoid him. #Arcticold-ripoff. #arcticold-bbb.org.
powchazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like you're not alone:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Steve-...Antoine-428078

No one should rip you off. But as a consumer, if you paid with a CC and you got stalled out past the typical 90-day chargeback window, you're doing it wrong. Sounds like you trusted the wrong guy. Don't let businesses hold your money for that long if they don't deliver and continue to put the word out about this guy.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote