Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Are Halogen Puck Lights Safe???

I've never been a big fan of halogen lights for interior lighting because of how hot they get but I just did a partial kitchen remodel and replaced the florescent fixture above the sink with two recessed halogen puck lights from CW. I certainly like the light provided but want to check in with others on how safe they really are.

The lights are recessed into a dead air space between the finished bottom of the cabinet and the interior "floor" of the cabinet. My thermal gun gets readings of only about 120*f on the wood surrounding the pucks and 104*f on the interior floor of the cabinet. The light itself reads 180*f.

It doesn't appear to be dangerous and I have never read of anyone actually having a fire started by them but I'm kind of a nut about preventing fire and thought I'd post to see if others have heard of problems I may have missed.

This is also important to me because I plan to replace the five florescent ceiling fixtures in my coach with recessed puck lights and those will be mounted into the headliner which might not be as heat resistant as the wood cabinet.

I know there are LED replacement bulbs available and this may well be the route I take but I'd like to understand the actual risks of the halogen pucks before I decide to go further.

Many thanks in advance for any insights.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, Rick - I think the short answer is that there is no fire danger absent a short in the wiring, the temperatures you found won't ignite wood, and those fixtures are routinely used in the locations you've mentioned.

That said, it would probably give you peace of mind to switch to LED puck bulbs. We did that over a year ago to reduce battery drain (we boondock a lot) and have been very satisfied. the puck LEDs are a direct replacement, they give off just as much light as the halogens, and they use one-tenth of the amp draw as the halogens. And the temperature is just barely warm to the touch. If you go that route make sure you buy "warm white" LED bulbs if you want a close color match to the halogen.

Happy Camping!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have halogen lights in the bottom of my cabinets.

After 4 years, still no problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Pucks should have slots where base hits surface of cabinet for ventilation.
A headliner maybe vinyl or cloth that may interfere with ventilation of light.
If you mount a piece of thin plywood over headliner surface you maybe OK.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 11-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #6

brucemcdou did you replace the whole fixture or just the bulbs? And, what did you use for the replacement?
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
brucemcdou did you replace the whole fixture or just the bulbs? And, what did you use for the replacement?
I'm interested in this thread too! I'd like to get rid of the plastic under cabinet fixtures (12v) and replace with nicer looking fixtures. All suggestions are welcome.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursMVP View Post
I'm interested in this thread too! I'd like to get rid of the plastic under cabinet fixtures (12v) and replace with nicer looking fixtures. All suggestions are welcome.
These are the ones I replaced my under cabinet florescent (ugly) fixture with arehttp://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/halogen-light-brass/34665. The florescent fixture was recessed so I also recessed the two of these which i used and they are well out of sight in my application.

As I mentioned earlier, they do get warm but they were cheap and the installation was very simple. LEDs would have been nice but I think they're about twice as much and the installation is just a bit more complex.

I'll soon be replacing all of my florescent ceiling fixtures with recessed puck lights on dimmers and I'm pretty sure I'll bite the bullet and go all LED because I just don't like how hot the halogens get.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 11-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
RickO - I'm of the same mind. Everyone says they are safe, but I don't like them getting so hot, so I'm looking to replace the halogens with LEDs. Are you saying there are LED bulbs out there that will fit into the same fixtures that came originally fitted with halogen bulbs? That would be simple....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Here are some I found on a Marine store. Seem a bit pricey but they have all kinds of LED fixtures that look better than the white plastic 12v lights we have.

http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/nova_8777_LED.asp#Order Here
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
. Are you saying there are LED bulbs out there that will fit into the same fixtures that came originally fitted with halogen bulbs? That would be simple....
You bet. Check out this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/halog...ent-77902.html

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 11-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks Rick!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
Phays: I just replaced each of the bulbs with like-for-like; I didn't want to try to replace any fixtures. Our Monarch came with the round halogen puck light fixtures throughout and the LED pucks slip right into the same outlet. Also used LED wedge base bulbs for the sconces, and LED directional lights for the reading lights. The bathroom fixtures and all the storage compartment lights and the porch light took bayonet base LED bulbs. This was a year and a half ago; the options are even better now but we had no trouble finding good replacements for each that are still working great!