Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Are my fans on Norcold 1200 supposed to work when operating on LP?

Can anyone tell me if the fans in the vent stack should work on propane as well as electric? Mine do not seem to be working when the refrigerator (NORCOLD 1200) is switched off electric and on to propane... though they are working properly when it is on electric and I have confirmed this visually by looking into the vent stack. Thanks for any input!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

I don,t think so If you take the back panel off and you see a flame it should be working properly, when they get a little rust falling out of the vent pipe and landing on where the fire comes out. It wont work. You have to clean the rust out ,tap the vent pipe a few times to clear it out. Then it should work.
Hope that helps.
Old Truck Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, the fans on the back of the Norcold should run on either AC or gas. However, they are temperature controlled by a thermal switch mounted on the condenser fins near the top of the unit on the back. The switch should turn them on regardless of the heat source once it reaches the set temperature. I would check the 12v output to the fans from the control board to see if it is putting out voltage in both modes. The fan voltage comes from the control board, which turns the fans off when you open the door.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks I'll check that out. They are definitely operating on ac but not lp
Old 05-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Are my fans on Norcold 1200 supposed to work when operating on LP?

The only other thing I've noticed is that it doesn't cool as well on lp when we are traveling as it does when parked. Temp has risen as high as 46 in the box but maintains around 30 parked. On ac we are down around 25-26. I'll check the voltage as suggested after church today. It has a new control board that I recently changed with new ons board as well so this is the final problem I'm chasing. Appreciate the help.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the fans work the same on LP as AC. They operate from the temp of the coils and don't know what's developing that heat.

It sounds like you may have a problem with your LPG orifice/burner tube. It may need cleaning. When operating properly the flame should be blue and it should produce a very noticeable "roar" when listening outside close to the lower access door.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #7

Norcold 1200 fan thermostatic switch turns fans ON when condenser fin temp is 130*F and OFF when condenser fin temp is 115*F

Doesn't matter which heat source is used......electric/propane....as it is based on condenser fin temp only

See pg. 48/49
http://rvrefrigeratorrepair.com/wp-c...d-Service-1210
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Definitely have a roar and a good flame, just no fans that I have noticed on lp unless I have the worlds worst timing and they have just never cycled on while I'm standing there watching the pot so to speak...
Old 05-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The fans should work when necessary on lp as well as AC. My Norcold 1200 did not cool as well on lp as it did on AC until I changed the lp regulator (developed a leak). Now it cools better on lp. Consider getting an ARP device for safety reasons. The ARP will show you the boiler temperature and mine is hotter on lp.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC06 View Post
The only other thing I've noticed is that it doesn't cool as well on lp when we are traveling as it does when parked. Temp has risen as high as 46 in the box but maintains around 30 parked. On ac we are down around 25-26.
We had the same problem with the 1200 in our Itasca. It worked great when parked either on LP or AC. When we were traveling the temps would rise in the fridge just like yours. I finally decided it was an air flow problem with the stream of air flowing down the side creating a vacuum not letting enough air go up through the fridge cavity. I was going to experiment with a couple of small "air scoops" on the intake grill, but wound up trading the Itasca off before I could do any more on it. The cooling on Norcolds is totally dependent on a good air flow across the condenser coils.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kiemele View Post
The fans should work when necessary on lp as well as AC. My Norcold 1200 did not cool as well on lp as it did on AC until I changed the lp regulator (developed a leak). Now it cools better on lp. Consider getting an ARP device for safety reasons. The ARP will show you the boiler temperature and mine is hotter on lp.
What is the max temps of your ARP show when it has stabilized?
tacaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacaem View Post
What is the max temps of your ARP show when it has stabilized?
I see around 177 C on gas and 169 C on AC. Mine cools less well traveling on gas. I think that it's a vent problem. I'm going to install one of the ARP fans.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kiemele View Post
I see around 177 C on gas and 169 C on AC. Mine cools less well traveling on gas. I think that it's a vent problem. I'm going to install one of the ARP fans.

177*C ----350*F
169*C-----336*F

That is spot on for propane and electric temps
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:16 AM   #14

Does the ARP device come with install instrctions?

Tags
fan, norcold