Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #57
Community Moderator

Thanks everyone for providing the wealth of info. I will read through all posts when settled down surely will enjoy reading it all day long
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #58

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler3041 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but can you use it while traveling or do you need to be stopped? Same question for the dishwasher..

Thanks
Splendid says not to use it while in motion and there has been a least one report of the unit being damaged while running and in motion. The drum has cement counterweights to help control the out of balance during the spin cycle. If you hit a bump at the wrong time it permanently stretches the springs the drum is suspended from.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #59
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Is this a new washer/dryer that has never been used/connected or the original from 2000 that is actually unknown working condition?
the unit was from factory in 2000 but previous owner took it out. when i bought the coach a year ago, the po told me that he just put it back in but not connected. he said it was a working unit (splendide combo).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
I really like my dryer especially when you're camping and swimming and just want to dry the towels, bathing suits, etc. Some places don't like you hanging things outside, even on chairs. I do use mine at other times but it a convenience I really wanted. I was told when we first bought our motorhome that the laundry is a great place to meet people and I guess if you're staying long term, might be a good point but most times, we're in and out. You can use just the dryer part of a two in one without the wash cycle.
Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:54 AM   #61

American Coach Owners Club
After two bad experiences in campground laundromats you could not get my wife back into one, no how no way,. Cruising neighborhoods for laundromats is also not what we are out vacationing for. Small loads done routinely while we are out doing other things makes laundry almost painless. I am pretty sure she would quit going on long trips if the W/D was not working.
gacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
On the ground? Really?
CampDaven
On many early to mid '90 Safaris, that's where the Splendide water drains, (if no sewer hose is run to a campground sewer).

Fortunately I was warned by 2 other Safari owners about the washer drain plumbing.
They both had discovered, (by running their Splendide with the cap on the 3" sewer connection), that the washer water overflowed the stand pipe...ran onto the floor of their coach... and flooded their basement compartments.... before it ran onto the ground.

BTW, we carry a "Blueboy" in the basement which we use for only the washer and only in parks that have no sewer connection on the sites.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #63

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Cool!
6 a week. 1 hour wash, 1 hour dry, 600+ hours/year to my 51.
Interesting!
No, it doesn't take 1 hour to wash. 25 minutes on the express cycle (which is all we need).

What 600 hours a year? Do you think I sit there and watch the clothes go round and round?

Half the time I set the timer and they start about 6 am so that I have warm clothes - or towels - to put away or use when I get up. Other times I'm doing something else important like reading posts on iRV2.net.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
$80 would be 11 large front loaders for us. We do about 2.5 of those per month. But have no dogs. You must have a serious amount of laundry!

Glad it works out for you.
How many loads is it for you each month in your RV?
Please re-read my posting.

I did 10 loads in 2 weeks just in bicycle clothes. LOL Sandee doesn't want my stinky, sweaty bike gear sitting around somewhere waiting for the next trip to the laundromat...neither do I.

While it is the journey that we celebrate, it is also the things that make that journey even more pleasurable. We are still anchored to a JOB but come December we will be free of that tether. We chose to journey with more than the minimum creature comforts. For *US* that included the W/D because of our choices that includes sweaty exercise clothes and GSDs that shed a lot. That translates into several loads of laundry stuff weekly.

For the purposes of the OP's question...

There are certainly folks that do very well without any W/D as was the case of the previous owners of our MH since they removed them. There ain't nothing wrong with that. Certainly a weekly trip to the laundromat with big machines can be a good option. We tried it, we didn't like it. We felt that if we couldn't enjoy the use of larger laundromats we were familiar with that going into strange/new locations and finding suitable facilities would be even less pleasant.

In the end, the life style one chooses will play a big part of any equipment choices. We don't own a fancy blender because we just don't do lots of blending. OTOH, We own a stacked W/D because we do lots of laundry because of our life style.

In the end, it is finding the balance between what you NEED, what you WANT and what you can stuff into your RV of choice. If you can get all you NEED and all you WANT into your RV...GO FOR IT!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
No, it doesn't take 1 hour to wash. 25 minutes on the express cycle (which is all we need).

What 600 hours a year? Do you think I sit there and watch the clothes go round and round?

Half the time I set the timer and they start about 6 am so that I have warm clothes - or towels - to put away or use when I get up. Other times I'm doing something else important like reading posts on iRV2.net.

Barb
X2!

Now if I could convince Sandee that the 15 minute cycle was good for most of our stuff! LOL

I will admit that I would like our Splendid W/D set to have a timer. I also have noted that the automatic setting for dryer seldom actually makes them dry...almost. Then again, Sandee likes it that way because she likes to damp hang things anyway. I guess that makes it a win-win situation.

I think the other factor our our choice is that Sandee is a bit finicky/picky about laundry stuff. Me, I toss them in, add detergent, hit the button and go about my business. If she finds the SMALLEST spot she scrubs, treats, and washes. HMMMM....undiagnosed OCD?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Interesting how something as mundane as doing laundry has garnered so many responses in such a short time.

When we were "weekend warriors", not having a washer/dryer onboard was not an issue. Now that we're full time, this is our home. We've never owned a home without laundry facilities, this one wasn't going to be any different.

Our "home" park has a very nice laundry room, but it is extremely expensive, and you do have to stay there anytime you have something in any of the machines. On the road the state of commercial laundry facilities varies greatly, but most are on the seedy side, to say the least, and once again you're there baby sitting your wash for at least a couple of hours for wash and dry.

We have the stacked washer and dryer. We have two "hampers" in our rear closet. One is a hanging bag we've had for a couple of decades and have used in multiple RVs. We use that one for colored clothing. On the floor of the closet is another hamper bag in which we put whites. When one of these bags starts getting full the contents go into the washer. We do not feel the need to hang around the coach while using either the washer or the dryer. We can load the washer, go off to do whatever, when we come back we throw that load into the dryer. We own very few items that will wrinkle, or should they, that we'd care if they do. For the very few items for which that is an issue (DW has some blouses she is concerned about wrinkling) Peggy will be sure to dry those items only when she knows we'll be here when the dryer shuts off.

Capacity has not been a problem. We can do both king sized sheets and a couple of pillow cases in one load. We can do three bath towels, two hand towels and two wash cloths in one load. We don't wear jeans often anymore (we're usually in shorts) but you'd not want to do more than two pair and maybe a couple of other lighter items at one time.

Convenience, cost and comfort are all reasons we knew we wanted our own washer and dryer.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

Please re-read my posting.

I did 10 loads in 2 weeks just in bicycle clothes. LOL Sandee doesn't want my stinky, sweaty bike gear sitting around somewhere waiting for the next trip to the laundromat...neither do I.
Stinky exercise clothes are another reason we love our in-house machine. We are big hikers and it's a joy to be able to throw our stuff into the machine after a long hike rather than let it sit and fester until the next laundromat run. In fact, for people who love to exercise having an in-house machine is almost a requirement. Our dog and 2 cats also add to the loads.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #68

When we had coaches with combo units DW didn't like how long it took to complete a full wash/dry load. Current coach has Apt. size stackables with a 220v dryer. I see my favorite shirts hanging in the closet a lot more often than when she was using the CG facilities
Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #69

Freightliner Owners Club
We use our Splendid once every two days and we also use it for our cloths hamper. There's only two of us so the loads are usually light. I agree that it's nice to wash and leave and not have to find a laundry facility to sit around in. BUT, it's not a machine built for bedding. When it's time for bedding to be washed we go to the laundromat. Also, the Splendid keeps us from having to pack so many cloths since we're washing them so often. Like a few have suggested, you wouldn't live in your stick and brick without a washer and dryer, why give up the luxury in your MH?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
... BUT, it's not a machine built for bedding. When it's time for bedding to be washed we go to the Laundromat..?
We do our sheets and pillow cases in our machine, and even blankets when they need to be done. The comforter Peggy uses and the mattress cover we take to he Laundromat. They simply won't fit into the smaller machine and/or are too heavy. Those are the only things I can think of that we don't do in the motor home.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote