Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 12:47 AM   #1

ARP Control shut down Norcold 1200LRIM

Last spring J.R. of J.C. Refrigeration in Shipshewana installed a new DutchAire(Amish) hydrogen cooling unit in our Norcold 1200LRIM with an ARP ver 2.0(no fan control) Control Unit. It has worked problem free until now and we have been very happy with it. It maintains the proper freezer and reefer temps on a setting of 4 out of 9.
Today when we came back from a visit to town we found the ARP had shutdown the power to the reefer and was counting down to let the temps cool before restoring the electricity and restarting the reefer.
It repeatedly started the reefer, shut it down due to high temps then restarted again after the cool down period. It did this 5 times before shutting it down for good as it is designed to do. The highest temp I saw was 200 deg. C. The last 2 times I switched the heating from AC to LP and both worked as advertised.
About a week ago the freezer had accumulated enough frost and the ice maker froze up so we defrosted the freezer. The ice maker resumed normal operation after defrosting and the reefer operated fine on both AC and LP. Yesterday we drove about 50 miles before I had to pull over on the side of a country road to check a paper map as the Verizon 4G outage in Oklahoma deprived me of Google map navigation. The coach was leaning to the right at a pretty severe angle for no more than 5 minutes due to a sloping shoulder. The reefer was on LP.
We drove for another 50 miles before settling into a campground and hooking up to 50 amp 120VAC service. The coach was level and operated fine for 24 hours on pedestal AC before it began to overheat and shutdown.
Is there any chance the defrosting or the 5 minutes out of level may have caused the ammonia and water to separate and not recombine. Any chance I can "burp" the cooling unit by driving the coach before giving up and calling in a so-called rv tech. I'm getting really tired of incompetent and sloppy "professionals" draining my wallet.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You need to call Paul at ARP and get is take on this!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
You need to call Paul at ARP and get is take on this!
Thanks. I have sent them the above post via their CONTACT US msg. system. Seeing as how its Friday I'll call them if they don't respond soon.
Do you have a better number than the 406-494-1959 on their website?
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 06-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
X2 on contacting ARP. The number you posted in the thread is correct. When calling it , it will go to a voice mailbox where you can leave a message with your phone # requesting a call back, leaving a short but detailed message.

The defrosting and or the out of level would not have messed up the ARP or the refrigerator.

You might make sure of is that the temp sensor clipped on the fins in the refrigerator compartment is still where it was and did not get dislodged or wires disconnected.

Beyond that, you may need to JC Refrigeration about how to go about getting it checked out for problems. Could be a control board or tubing leak issue.

If you put your ARP into setup mode, you can view and jot down all the stored parameters and put them into an email to Paul, arprvsafe@gmail.com.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

Thanks to both of you for the help. I had a good conversation with Paul on the phone and he talked me through the diagnostic process. I found the videos on the website could have been better done. If you worked with it every day it would be easy but the human engineering of the operation of the tiny buttons and the meaning of the cryptic displays need a lot of work for this DIYer.
Paul said that some of the earlier ARPs like mine experienced drift over time of the temperature control settings. Also, the high OAT and high humidity here at Keystone Lake causing a heat index of 103° may be causing the shutdowns. I am letting the ARP go through the Auto Tune process for the next 24 hours to reset the temperature limits.
Here's hoping.

Tags
norcold