Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #1

ARPrvSafe

Since we decided to keep our Norcold N821 instead of going residential, I looked around for safety features. I pulled my fridge our and checked all the cooling tubes. They have minor rust but not bad. Another gizmo I found is the ARPrvSafe. This device stores your normal fridge operating temp, and then through a sensor, relay, and control box, will turn your fridge off if the boiler tube exceeds your normal temperature range. It appears well designed and built. It is not a plug and play device so plan on spending a bit of time doing an install. If I was in a hurry, I could have done it in a couple hours but I wanted a display, extra led, and audible alarm too.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Since we decided to keep our Norcold N821 instead of going residential, I looked around for safety features. I pulled my fridge our and checked all the cooling tubes. They have minor rust but not bad. Another gizmo I found is the ARPrvSafe. This device stores your normal fridge operating temp, and then through a sensor, relay, and control box, will turn your fridge off if the boiler tube exceeds your normal temperature range. It appears well designed and built. It is not a plug and play device so plan on spending a bit of time doing an install. If I was in a hurry, I could have done it in a couple hours but I wanted a display, extra led, and audible alarm too.
So did you install it? Can't tell by your post.
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #3

Yes, finished installing today. It's going through the 24 hour setup procedure now but it tested fine earlier.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #4

I have one and waiting for weather to warm up and stop snowing. Did you install control unit inside or out?
DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #5

I installed inside. Right next to fridge range hood had a nice big plastic spot that was open. It was easy to run the wires into the range hood and mount the controller there. I also ran a extra pair of wires for an LED and audio alarm, that way I can hear the system activate while driving. I also put a toggle switch on the alarm so I can turn it off if it becomes too annoying. I pulled out the fridge which made the install easier.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I bought the ARP but haven't installed it yet. Waiting for a nice, warm day! I really believe it's a good investment!

BTW- David Force at RV Cooling Unit Warehouse is selling these now!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #7

Pirate

Did you get the data logging function operational?
Take a close look at the boiler tube temps - during frig cool down both on level and off level - It will OPEN your eyes to what's really happening. I did a few MS Excel data grabs and produced several graphs - surprised me a lot with the temp swings. Really glad to have this installed and operational. Remember you can manually set it up as compared the auto tune function. I tried the auto tune and later went with the manual setup. Paul answers his emails very quickly and was a great help.

I'm happy with my installation - I interrupted the stock over temp sensor with the ARP relay. Installed a blower motor powered off the gas solenoid w/ a three terminal 8Vdc regulator which eliminated the fan noise. The ARP controller w/ it's 6 pin data port can easily be accessed with a temporary cable connected to the Rigs computer system.

My frig is in a slide thus has a stock 4" thermostat controlled fan. I left that alone - it makes a lot of noise but only comes on once in a great while.

Guess I'm lucky to have a heated barn to do this stuff during the off season. So many projects never enough time to get to them all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04950.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	55603   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04964.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	55604  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04962.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	55605  
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #8

Yeah, I did data logging today. I wish I could have the live monitor of it near the dash when driving. I'm sitting still so no real changes that I saw in temps.

Tags
rvs