Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

ATS (automatic transfer switch)

I am wondering if anyone has had trouble with a transfer switch starting to go bad by breaking contact while driving down the road (on harsh roads). Our transfer switch for the generator has 2 power feeds (black wire). one of those power feeds drops power for a few seconds (we know this because our microwave kept resetting itself), has this happened to anyone else. Generator is a 55kw Onan, gas. Thanks for the feed back!
Daryl molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your symptoms sound like you might have a loose connection(s) in the transfer switch. Suggest you open the switch up with ALL power sources off and tighten all wiring connections. I do just that annually - and suggest everyone should - and always find something loose but am able to correct it before I have a problem. A problem could cause arcing within the switch enclosure and do significant damage up to and including a fire.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

…..harsh roads equals loose wire connection some where, in addition to the ATS, eg, breaker box, genset, any junctions boxes between or after......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree on checking all the connections annually. I have always loosened each connection 1/4 turn and then retighten. A slightly corroded lug may feel tight but is not.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
I agree on checking all the connections annually. I have always loosened each connection 1/4 turn and then retighten. A slightly corroded lug may feel tight but is not.
While you have the tool kit out don't overlook the electric panel(s) inside the coach either. I check mine at least once a year as the previous owner had an issue with a neutral wire on the 110V. side of the converter / electrical panel.
A neutral wire had gotten loose and created enough heat to melt some of the coating off the wire. I removed the wire, cleaned it and used heat shrink tubing to insulate the wire, cut off about 1" of the wire and put it back together.
I removed every wire, checked it and applied Silicone Di-Electric gel to each connection to ward off corrosion. No issues since but I feel better after spending a few minutes doing this simple maintenance exercise.
When I diagnosed the original problem there was only 80V. showing on a voltmeter at each wall outlet and you could smell a faint odor of rubber or plastic burning. I found this before I purchased the coach and was a concern before I wrote the check for the coach.
I don't have an ATS but I do remove the cover on the generator outlet where I plug the shore power cable into and check the connections which I had previously applied the Silicone Di-Electric compound onto.
I have never had a need to run the generator while traveling down the road so I make sure the shore plug is disconnected before heading out somewhere to keep the heavy cable from wiggling around and eventually wearing the contacts inside the outlet. I have a practice of starting the generator, letting it run for a couple minutes to warm up and settle down before plugging the shore power cable in. A small dab of Silicone Di-Electric compound occasionally gets applied to the cable male terminals to ward off corrosion. Any old compound gets wiped off the terminals before applying new
to remove any dirt or dust from the plug terminals.
Simple steps to take to prevent a major problem.
Lynn
Old 06-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #6

All wonderful suggestions!

Hi All; First off thank you for your posts. We did go thru "all" the connections and checked the power path; even the wiring within the generator itself. I will keep up with your idea of tightening all connections once a year. That makes a lot of sense to me (sorry I did not think of it myself). I find this site very helpful..
Old 06-24-2018, 09:38 AM   #7

….could have been a "one-off" situation but when I replace my OEM Iota ATS [known to be a problem brand] with the Lyght product.....I found that one of the connector lugs had apparently come loose and actually arc-welded the lug in place [ie, the lug appeared "tight" but wire was actually loose]. So tying to check the lugs for tightness requires you to first loosen the lugs and then re-tighten to spec.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

The first place I would look is the junction box where the generator output connects to the RV wiring.

Its probably connected with wire nuts that were never tightened properly.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #9

transfer switch

Hey all: I did go thru and tighten the transfer switches (all) and some were a bit loose. We also did go into the junction box at the back of generator and retigtened all the wire nuts there. As I said there were some "not snug" wires so hope that solves this problem! Thanks to all who chimed in!

Tags
switch, transfer switch