Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Attwood 8535- no ignite- cannot get exhaust out

I am diagnosing an 8535-IV with single sense electrode.
Circuit board was not tuning on gas valve
Replaced board -- now have valve turning on -- but no ignite

want to remove gas valve since large mud dauber nest was in that area.

Problem is I cannot get exhaust to slide out -- even with wingnut loose.

Before i put a lot more pressure on it -- I would like to know if that exhaust is a smooth fit where I might twist it -- or it is slotted/indexed or anything else????

Unit is on the bench to I have decent access.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Check out the exploded view in the link below for the answer to your question. The exhaust tube or "draft cap assembly" as they call it, slides straight out.

https://dunesport.com/manuals/atwood-furnace.pdf

I had mud dauber nests in my exhaust tube and in the heat exchanger, so I know what you are up against. Good luck.
Skidaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #3

I am hoping it is that simple --- have some penetrant soaking tonight.
My unit does not really look like that, since those photo's cover a lot of units.

We will see

thx Dale
Old 11-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Are you getting any airflow out of the exhaust? I haven't explored the sail switch's function, but it may be preventing ignition if there isn't sufficient airflow. Just a thought...
Skidaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #5

I did not get the exhaust out --very rusted -- but got the larger oversize piece off of exhaust so gas valve could clear. Will have to deal with refitting that somehow.

The gas valve is working, sail switch working, limit switch working, but the burner had a lot of holes clogged with redish material.

I ordered a rebuild KIT --- about $50 ---which has new sail switch, limit switch, single wire sensor ignitor, gas valve orifice and new burner. Plan to put all those in as unit is 18 year old.

Let you know results when I finish.

thx Dale
Old 11-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #6

Just to wrap this up -- the furnace seems to be working fine now -- although I have just tested it here at home several times.

I had ordered the kit with burner, ignitor, sail switch and limit switch.
I put in the new burner and ignitor. reinstalled the furnace, and it started right up on the first try. I cycled it several times and it seems ok.

I then replaced the new board I had purchased with the old one. It worked fine on that board, so it was not a board problem. The new board did however help me find the problem as it has an LED which flashes and give a cause. That helped me decide it was either the burner or ignitor.

I put the new board back and will keep the old board, sail switch and limit switch as spares which will fit both of my furnaces, as they are both the same 8535-IV model

thx Dale

Tags
exhaust