Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #1

Attwood GC10A-4E Water Heater Problem

I have an Attwood GC10A-4E (10 gallon, combination gas/electric) water heater in a 6-year old Holiday Rambler motorhome that has been completely problem-free until today. I usually leave it on ‘electric’ and only use the ‘gas’ mode when dry-camping (very seldom) or in combination with the ‘electric’ mode when needing an extra boost to heat a lot of water.

When I got up this morning, I happened to hear the burner running so I checked the switches, thinking the ‘gas’ mode must have been inadvertently turned-on. It wasn’t, and in fact the ‘gas’ switch was in the OFF position with the DSI FAULT light lit. The ‘electric’ switch was in its usual ON position (element was also ON, based on the power draw).

I played with the switches a bit, and found that I’d get the burner to light with either the ‘gas’ or ‘electric’ switch turned on, and the DSI FAULT light would come on within 5-10 seconds. The ‘electric’ element would come on only when its respective switch was on, and then I’d also get the DSI FAULT light to come on in 5-10 seconds.

Right now, it’s dark, very cold and raining so I’m not ready to go outside to troubleshoot. I wanted to throw this out in advance to see if anyone has encountered this before or has any suggestions to help minimize the time outside. Brrrr…

TIA

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would look at the connection at the board and clean them, could be a bad board most likely the problem

Old 02-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #3

Thanks, Mark. That was most-likely it. Cleaned the connections and sprayed them with Corrosion-X, problem gone (hopefully forever!)
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the update. I was watching this as I have the same WH.
Glad it's ok now. Kudos to Mark for the help you got.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your Welcome !!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

I have the same water heater, but a different problem developed this weekend. "No electrical heating" but propane does work. Propane will run for 20 - 25mins until it cuts off.
I don't see How I can access the wiring to the heating element to see if it is getting power, without disconnecting propane lines. I only see one breaker controlling this thing and the Power Distribution panel indicates that power is available for the water heater. Any suggestions on what I should look for before paying the local shop to dig in to it? or should I bite the bullet and have a new one installed, $700-850.
This a 10+ year old unit in a Fleetwood Discovery DP.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
The electric heating elements burn out easily especially if turn on with no water in the tank. The element is cheap ($20-$30). But most are a bear to get to on the backside of the WH. IMHO, you dont need a new WH just the element and a few hours labor, either yours or a shop
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #8

Thanks. Looking at some of the other posts out here I see that the elements are inexpensive. I'll do some digging and see if there is an access panel either in the closest or from underneath that I missed.

Tags
heater, water