Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #1

'05 Fleetwood Pioneer. Most of its life is spent in the backyard, but in the summer months is used extensively.
The unit( water heater) has or had an electric/electronic start feature: with a full battery & gas a person could depress a button in the cabin, hear an electric 'thud', the gas fire-up, and their would be hot water a few minutes later.

Unforunately this feature became inoperatable. Found that when the button was pushed to on, ran quickly outside & struck a lighted match in the burner, the burner would light and there would hot-water. Removed the igniter, a crude spark plug with a wire attached, & sanded the contacts with the wife's emery board with negative results. Stopped at a Camping World in Utah and the fellow told me that for $70 someone would identify the problem and that since the trailer was nearly three years old the repair could amount to $700, the cost of a new heater. On to Boise and another Camping World. After reading the Atwood manual , I thought the igniter gap might have been inproperly adjusted. The fellow at the parts desk brought out a replacement and told me that if I broke seal on the plastic package, the part would me mine at a cost of $48.00. I guessed the gap of the crude spark plug to be 1/8"-1/4 same as mine.

So any way, should I throw parts at this thing and hope I get it going, or should I spend a fortune at a reputable RV dealer?
Atwood MPD 93756(6 gal)
spark module #93801
electrode assy #93804
wiring haraness #93803
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #2

'05 Fleetwood Pioneer. Most of its life is spent in the backyard, but in the summer months is used extensively.
The unit( water heater) has or had an electric/electronic start feature: with a full battery & gas a person could depress a button in the cabin, hear an electric 'thud', the gas fire-up, and their would be hot water a few minutes later.

Unforunately this feature became inoperatable. Found that when the button was pushed to on, ran quickly outside & struck a lighted match in the burner, the burner would light and there would hot-water. Removed the igniter, a crude spark plug with a wire attached, & sanded the contacts with the wife's emery board with negative results. Stopped at a Camping World in Utah and the fellow told me that for $70 someone would identify the problem and that since the trailer was nearly three years old the repair could amount to $700, the cost of a new heater. On to Boise and another Camping World. After reading the Atwood manual , I thought the igniter gap might have been inproperly adjusted. The fellow at the parts desk brought out a replacement and told me that if I broke seal on the plastic package, the part would me mine at a cost of $48.00. I guessed the gap of the crude spark plug to be 1/8"-1/4 same as mine.

So any way, should I throw parts at this thing and hope I get it going, or should I spend a fortune at a reputable RV dealer?
Atwood MPD 93756(6 gal)
spark module #93801
electrode assy #93804
wiring haraness #93803
Old 09-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
For a brand new water heater at PPL Motorhomes it is only $378. Do you have a light on your switch? It may be the 12 vdc connection. The circuit is simple to trouble shoot. Shouldn't be more tha 1 hrs work for a competent technician. Here is pricing from Mark's RV

Atwood Water Heater parts

Here is Atwood's trouble shooting list
Atwood water heater trouble shooting

Atwood support phone number & email

866-869-3118 option 5 before proceeding or service@atwoodmobile.com
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Checking the 12v is a good suggestion. Also, check the thermocouple. Your Attwood owners and/or installation guide should tell you where it is. It will also have wires connected.

Since a match will not work, it most likely is the thermocouple or no gas supply. Could a dirt dober or spider clogged the gas supply line? Also, is their gas in the LP tank?

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Since it lights by match, you have gas flowing but no spark on the igniter. The proper igniter gap is 1/8". Loose or corroded wires to the igniter are the most common cause of this problem, but it could also be bad igniter or a circuit board failure (no voltage to the igniter when required).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #6

I'd imagine you could probably pretty easily convert that heater to a pilot modle with a few inexpensive parts. Or like said abouve you can pick a new heater up fro about $370, JCWhittney has them as low as $300 without electric mode. I haggled my locar RV dealer to sell me the same pilot/electric heater for the same price as JCWhittney.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote