Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
atwood 8500 -lv again

my 8500 is in a 1999 pace arrow when turned on the blower comes on the burner lights then turns off, it does this three times then the blower runs for a while but no heat.

I think I have a electrode problem ? can it be removed from the outside?

I want to pull the furnace and check everything, can I do that from the outside only?

the stove flames bend down when the furnace blower is running ,do I have a intake air line loose?

this unit was removed to fix my water pipes and wasn't sealed to prevent water from getting in so I suspect other problems caused by the repair person.
donnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #2

Here is the Installation / Operators manual for the 8500-IV: http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...0SP%201.08.pdf

That should help with how it's installed.

Your unit is going into Lockout mode (No flame sense). The electrodes are a possibility and may need cleaning/adjustment.

Here is the service manual: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf You have a DSI (Electronic Ignition) model unit. Troubleshooting starts on page 30. Your symptom is classified as:
BURNER IGNITES BUT IGNITION SYSTEM “LOCKS OUT” AND TURNS BURNER OFF

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
your right

Thanks for responding!

I looked at some earlier threads and tried and Idea of using compressed air to clean off the furnace electrode and it worked great.

I sent a thank you to the person with the idea, it sure saved me a lot of worry in very chilly weather.

This site has saved me again.

Thank you all! DONNY
Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #4

At first opertunity, make sure you check adjustment and alignment of the electrodes is correct. The compressed air may have only jostled the electrode so that it grounded correctly. There is only a millivolt flame sense signal feed back to the control board so cleanliness is important.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
heater

Hello again! I hope all that responded to my first request see this post.

I did not stop at blowing air in my heater to get it to work which it did, but when I had the chance, I pulled it out and tore it down.

The tear down was a good thing because I found two fair size dirt dauber nest that had blocked my burner and sensors. of course I cleaned it all up and now have a sweet operating furnace except for a squeal from the blower I forgot to lubricate.....look at the pics. I had a third pic that wont load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dirt dauber nest from furnace in mh..jpg
Views:	103
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	21200   Click image for larger version

Name:	mh furnace burner  & dirtdobber.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	21201  

Old 05-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #6

Commercial Member

donnyman,

Your posted photos absolutely demonstrate why annual service is so important for appliances like the furnace, water heater, refrigerator, and air conditioner.

Preventative maintenance is much easier than corrective maintenance! And certainly less headaches.

Recommended performance schedule: (usually before typical heavy use)

Furnace - in the fall.
Water heater - in the spring.
Refrigerator - in the spring.
Air conditioner - in the spring.
SUMDALUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
You can get small screens that fit over the exhaust ports to keep wasp out. Look in the catalogs or even Camping World.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
maint.

Yes to all the above!

what I have shown was a small part of things that needed correcting to bring my unit to full operational status All the repairs to the furnace were not shown. I have a long list of repairs.

It was stored in the open and neglected resulting in repair bills over $8000.

The day I took it home to test before purchase, my brake system locked up for lack of fluids. I was traumatized and it destroyed the joy in having the unit. it was A simple fix, once I knew what was going on. Fortunately I am blessed with the ability to accomplish many repairs my self.

preventive maintenance is also a lot cheaper than normal repairs.

Happy motoring.................DONNY
Old 05-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #9

Just for reference, most of that furnace can be serviced without removing it from the rig.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks camper33
I am learning Real fast about upkeep and repairs, only thing to do on the furnace is stop the fan squeal. I had a blow out on my inner left rear tire last night (scarey) It shredded and took out a wiring bundle, six hours later I was back on the road but with a mess of wiring to patch. Good thing I had a new spare.

Tags
atwood